new audio system

Discuss In Car Entertainment
pololo
New

new audio system

Post by pololo »

OK, been coping with vw oem speakers for long enough. Plan is to transfer the old system from my 6n over to the 6n2. That is alpine type S components up front and a vibe cbr10 in the boot. Components are to be amped from the boot also. Main aim with this system is that everything should look completely standard once it's all in.

Will be running 4 gauge down the passenger side to the boot, hoping there's an earth point underneath the carpet at the left hand side(?) and 2 phono cables down the driver side. I was able to run the speaker cable up the transmission tunnel under the carpet in the 6n, dunno how that'll play out in 6n2.

What I'm really worried about is the dash, and getting from underneath it to the carpet without visible cables. On the 6n the dash was basically open at the bottom and all was easy. Any hints and tips on where to run the cables out of the dash and how to get enough of the dash out to run the cables? Also is there a handy grommet on the passenger hand side of the engine bay into cabin?

Then finally does anyone have any idea how the vw components are wired up? on the 6n the signal went to tweeters and then was sent down to the mids in the door, the tweeters have now moved into the door and I want to avoid running any wire through into the doors if possible. Would I be best positioning the crossover in the door and joining to oem wiring there and from the iso plug at the stereo (from the amp)? or is there a better way of doing it? Incidentally I have manual windows.

Hope that all makes sense, any help you can give me is much appreciated - this is a daily so I can't afford to have it in pieces for too long!
pololo
New

Re: new audio system

Post by pololo »

k, think I've figured everything out (mostly) but 2 things:
  • how do you get those pesky window winders off? I've been tugging at them but am afraid of breaking them
  • how do I get the glove box out? Looks like there's several trim pieces I'll need to remove
Finally, if anyone does happen to know how the speakers are wired up inside the doors that'd be awesome, but I guess it's something I can figure out when I finally get the door cards off..
Adam-
Getting There!

Re: new audio system

Post by Adam- »

The window winders come off by levering the cover off.
Its hard to explain, but if you look down at the winder (with the winder parallel with the bottom of the door edge), you can just get behind the cover.

Just get a small blade, and pull at the cover, and once it pops off, twist it down. You'll be able to see a screw down the central section of the winder.

It's hard to explain, but easy when you've done it.
Adam.