6n2 front speaker advice and recommendations please peeps

Discuss In Car Entertainment
Polo*
Getting There!

6n2 front speaker advice and recommendations please peeps

Post by Polo* »

Hi. Not been on in a while. And have popped back for some advice on upgrading my front speakers on a cheap budget.

I'm running stock head unit.

I want to for as cheap as poss gets some new front speakers. Can you recommend and link me to a suitable pair please.
Anything that is going to at least double the stock speakers against distortion and popping.

I'm getting mixed results with search as to what size some say 16.5 and some say 17!?

Just some cheap and cheerful upgrades

Cheers all. Big love.
fonzooorooo
Bronze Member

Re: 6n2 front speaker advice and recommendations please peep

Post by fonzooorooo »

I'd scour ebay for used ones from a good brand... When I was last looking, I got a set of alpine components for £5.50. You'd do better getting an old product from a good brand rather than new cheapies.

To save them popping, turn the bass down, switch the "loudness" off (if you've got it) Low frequencies at high volume put both the amp and speakers under more load.

As a rule of thumb:

If the speaker is being overpowered, you'll hear it distorting. If this happens, turn it down.

If the speaker is underpowered (with amp turned up a long way) you won't hear the speaker distorting, but the amp will 'clip'. This isn't usually audible, but kills speakers VERY quickly, as they receive continuous DC voltage.

I tell you this, because if you're running a cheap headunit, you could kill the speakers regardless of their quality. (I killed a pair of Phoenix Golds with a "Mutant" headunit once... They never audibly distorted - they'd handle about 10 times the power the headunit could deliver - it was the headunit clipping that caused their demise)