Sony XAV - W1 issue

Discuss In Car Entertainment
1FlyTDI!
New

Sony XAV - W1 issue

Post by 1FlyTDI! »

Hi guys , yesterday I swopped my recently purchased Sony XAV - 63 for a Sony XAV -W1 from a car that got sold. I totally love the bigger screen the new deck offers , but now I am encountering an issue :shock:

The unit refuses to play a DVD , even original DVD doesnt work. The deck plays a normal CD disk 100% but when I try to play a DVD it says disk read error. I tried to search the net but to no avail :roll:

I think it has to do with a area restriction or something , otherwise it would not have played a normal CD not true ?? I did reset the unit on the front panel but still no luck.

When I press the off button once it goes into a sleep mode thingy amd from there I can access a dvd setup menu , I can change the area code from USA ( default ) but when I change it , it requires an area code , now what code to put in here :oops:

If anyone has some info or advise for me I would kindly appreciate it
Lucaio
Bronze Member

Re: Sony XAV - W1 issue

Post by Lucaio »

I'm not an expert on this but from reading your post it sounds like the device is region locked.

"I can change the area code from USA ( default )"

I'm guessing this means it is locked to the USA region which means it can only play region 1 DVDs, DVDs from the UK fall into region 2. Here's the wiki on region codes

But yeah, this is just a guess.
1FlyTDI!
New

Post by 1FlyTDI! »

That sounds like my problem I have to agree with you !! I am from SA however but I see it is also region 2. When I try to change it it asks me for a code. If I can know what code I can try and fix this
Lucaio
Bronze Member

Post by Lucaio »

1FlyTDI! wrote:That sounds like my problem I have to agree with you !! I am from SA however but I see it is also region 2. When I try to change it it asks me for a code. If I can know what code I can try and fix this
Did a quick bit of googling and came across this:

"You will need to Contact Sony Either Via the Web or their Customer Service Line to get the Manual Reset Code for this Model. Each Sony has a Different Unlock code so the Master may not work on Certain Models as is the Problem with yours."
1FlyTDI!
New

Post by 1FlyTDI! »

Thanx guys. Got my unit fixed. Took it out and cleaned the reader and all is working 100% now