Subwoofer Install - Removal of glove box unit

Discuss In Car Entertainment
st-gti
New
Drives: 2016 Polo GTI

Subwoofer Install - Removal of glove box unit

Post by st-gti »

Hi, New member looking for some guidance.

I have bought a subwoofer this morning for my Polo 6c and am currently mid-install. (I literally have the glove box between my feet right now..)

I am installing the subwoofer with the standard head unit, using an low-line converter. To do so, i need to tap into the left and right speakers. Upon removal of the head unit, i found it's just a screen, not an actual system and was massively confused. I've done some research and the radio is basically in the glovebox. I want to remove this in order to gain better access to the unit, but i cannot see a way to do so and it will not budge a millimetre.

Has anyone done this? Can anyone provide insight?

Thanks in advance,
Scott.
st-gti
New
Drives: 2016 Polo GTI

Re: Subwoofer Install - Removal of glove box unit

Post by st-gti »

For anyone else struggling with this, turned out it was me been a slack a**e. There's 2 rectangular slots on the lower front panel of the infotainment system in the glove box that you can slide some flat radio keys or similar down (I used a couple of the missus' nail files..). This will pop the clips and allow the unit to slide out.

For anyone looking to install a sub/amp with low line converter into their standard head unit, here's the infotainment unit's wires that you'll need. I think this applies to anything 2015 onwards.. Might be wrong. You'll probably be better off removing the glove box as well as the unit to get at the wiring. Makes life much easier..

Speaker Wires:
Red/Yellow - Front Right Speaker (positive)
Brown/Yellow - Front Right Speaker (negative)

Blue/Brown - Front left Speaker (positive)
Blue/Red - Front Left Speaker (negative)

If required:
Purple/Red - Rear Left Speaker (positive)
Purple/Brown - Rear Left Speaker (negative)

White/Black - Rear right Speaker (positive)
White/Blue - Rear Right Speaker (negative)

I am yet to source a location for the remote wire to the amp. My low line converter does have a remote cable that I can attach to, but I'm not 100% confident it is working correctly. I may leave this connected as it is, I may move the remote to the fuse box and attach to something in there.. who knows!

Hope this helps someone!
andy_256
New
Drives: Polo 1.0

Re: Subwoofer Install - Removal of glove box unit

Post by andy_256 »

Hi

Really useful post but hoping you can help me. I am trying to remove the media unit in the glove box and have the correct keys, problem is it is obstructed by the door of the glove box. I don't want to force it, can you tell me how you removed it please.

Andy