Auto Kickdown

Discuss Engine, Gearbox and Exhaust
tc49
New

Auto Kickdown

Post by tc49 »

Hi All
Was going around one of those big roundabouts where you can go 30/35mph, not too sure what gear it was in. The exit was on a slight up slope so accelerated a little, there was quite a noticable 'kick' quite hard really, when it went down a gear. Took my foot off the pedal and there was a much 'softer' kick when it went up a gear!!!
Yesterday going along the M25 we all had to brake quite suddenly (as you do), when we had nearly stopped (about 15-20mph) there was another noticeable feeling when it went back to first gear. If you go gentle on the pedal the kick down problem does'nt happed, or on the slowing down. The kickdown problem was a little alarming though!!
Normal driving is perfect. Just been serviced. All oils OK. Any ideas boys and girls??? Thanks
Terry
blazeguarder
Gold Member

Re: Auto Kickdown

Post by blazeguarder »

Might need a complete gearbox oil flush and change? I'm not sure if that's covered in the normal service intervals...
Keeno21
Getting There!

Auto Kickdown

Post by Keeno21 »

Kickdown is a common feature on autos?

Or is the issue with the aggressiveness of it?
tc49
New

Post by tc49 »

Apologies all.........
Been away with work!!
Keeno. Exactly, it was the harshness of it, a real kick in the back, but normal driving it is ok!! Havent done it again, afraid the gearbox might drop out!!
Blazeguarder. It had a complete service (not sure about flush) the mechanic took it for a spin after the service and said it was a nice little runner!!
TC
tc49
New

Post by tc49 »

Hi All
Been awhile but I did get the gearbox serviced (£150 quid), but the minute you drive a little 'harder' the gearbox is still very fearce if have to use the kickdown. The mechanic who did the service checked the ecu and there were two faults but forgot to give them to me!! He explained that he had 'never' worked on a Polo gearbox because they are so reliable, he thought it was to do with the ECU. I'm lost!! It will cost another few quid to get another read-out?? Anyone in North London (Barnet) that has got a fault reading machine?? Would line anyones pocket!!
Terry
Dub_Dan
Gold Member

Post by Dub_Dan »

mate for what it is the box is fine in the polo my mom has the 1.4 5 door auto and being such a small car it is only a 4 speed box i believe and being less gears i think it will be more jerky and being a small engine doesnt help at all but my mother had a clio auto and that was awful it was a nail sounded like a remote control car. when you hit the kickdown do you notice the pedal tries to push itself back a little?
but yer i would honestly say its fine and not to worry and waste any money as long as there is no clunking your good to go...