1.4 8v whats next after exhaust

Discuss Engine, Gearbox and Exhaust
dannypolo
New

1.4 8v whats next after exhaust

Post by dannypolo »

Hi everyone, im new to the site and have a 97 polo 1.4 8v open air.
Im trying to get as much power as i can out of the little engine as im used to faster cars. i know theres not a whole lot i can do but iv just installed a 4-2-1 manifold with a decat and full straight powerflow system to the back. my polo now is LOUD!!! too loud to be honest but i now need some more grunt to match the noise, the exhaust hasnt made any noticeable difference to the power so since then iv drilled the airbox and added an extra cold feed.
Whats my best next step for some more power?? is a turbo set up easy enough?? is bike carbs worth it?? Maybe some cat cams?? Dan.
daveslp
New

Re: 1.4 8v whats next after exhaust

Post by daveslp »

What bore size is the exhaust. It's possible you've gone too big and lost some power. Especially with a four branch, scavenging effect is more crucial.
As with all 8v vw, a hot cam will really wake it up.
Throttle bodies are good but a lot of effort and cash.
Why not put a 16v in?
fonzooorooo
Bronze Member

Re: 1.4 8v whats next after exhaust

Post by fonzooorooo »

I'd anticipate that you'll struggle with emissions on bike carbs on a '97 car. ... Post '92 cars have a max CO of 0.2% (I think) where pre '92 are 3.5%

I'd be thinking bout general servicing to ensure you're getting the most out of what you've already got, then cams, chip/remap, throttle body.

I say that - personally, I'd either get used to going slower, or buy a faster car... that just depends on how much you want to drive a fast open air though!