A fair job ? - Advice.

Discuss Engine, Gearbox and Exhaust
lxm
Bronze Member

A fair job ? - Advice.

Post by lxm »

Car had gone into limp home mode on Monday - Spluttery engine, like its going to cut out.

Took it to a new garage Yesterday as my usual couldnt fit me in, Initially I was happy with the service from the owner and labour charge, although a little bitter about the 100% markup for the two coil pencils (charged £88, most autopart shops list @ 18-22 ea)

Was told fault fixed, and road tested OK. I drove the car home with no problems.

Drove the car to work today, and again it was back to being spluttery on acceleration, - Limp home mode kicked in. Same issue ? Just home, and opened the bonnet, looked at Coil no 3, and it is gone, rubber is cracked and broken.

Does anyone feel that coil 3 should have been checked for wear/damage if both 1 & 2 had gone ? or if it was checked, and ok, changed anyway as the other two had packed in?

I feel like ive had a slight kick in the teeth, and deffinetly not taking it back in....

Just ordered a pencil coil from my local autoparts and looking to fit it tomorro morning myself.
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Re: A fair job ? - Advice.

Post by alexperkins »

Generally speaking coils should be replaced all at once as if you replace two the other can burn out