Starting issue

Discuss Engine, Gearbox and Exhaust
sflemin
New
Drives: 2004

Starting issue

Post by sflemin »

Have had a bit of an issue with my 2004 Polo recently (usually really reliable) where it's been quite slow to start. I thought it was maybe weather-related to begin with but even as the temperature's risen over the last few weeks the issue has persisted. I didn't think much of it as it wasn't stopping me doing anything, but then the engine randomly cut out once or twice when I was slowing down (in traffic or coming up to the lights), so I've had to temporarily stop using the car in case it cuts out and I'm not able to get it started again. Any suggestions? I'm guessing it might be battery-related but I've given it one or two long runs which I thought would have charged the battery up. Sorry, I'm pretty clueless technically, if you've not guessed that already, otherwise I'd provide more detail! If I have to take it to the garage then so be it but I wondered if there might be another fix someone on here knew of. cheers
hm2828
New
Drives: mk4 1.4 diesel 2009

engine issues

Post by hm2828 »

hi ive got a vw polo 1.4 diesel 2009 ive had a few issues with the car first issue i had was :
- the car started throwing black smoke i then disconnected the air mass flow sensor and that stopped the black smoke and the power was restricted when it was plugged in so ive been driving it without ive tried another mass flow sensor but same issue and i’ve also tried cleaning egr valve but no help this issue was about a year ago still not resolved.
- the second issue i’ve got on the vehicle is it struggles starting and it cuts out when driving sometimes and sometimes as soon as you turn the vehicle on,
-today as i was trying to start the car it wasn’t starting then the glow plug light started flashing.
can anyone help with these issues please ?