How to check original VCDS cable?

Discuss In Car Electronics / Electrical Systems - use with caution!
Polobear6r
New
Drives: Polo

How to check original VCDS cable?

Post by Polobear6r »

Hi, i want to buy an original VCDS cable. I can buy a second hand one for 200 euro's in the neighborhood.

But i don’t know if it is original. He send me a screenshot of VCDS with version 20.4.0
The program shows an serial number and below that is says License Status: Valid / Activated in green.

It is not far from my home so I’m going to get it in person. Is there something else i can check to see if it is original.

And can i also check errors on a newer Golf GTE car? (i have a Polo 2011 myself)
And can 1 cable be used on multiple PC's ? Of do i need to get a new license or something?

The Cable says:
HEX+CAN
COM/USB
Adapter voor VAG-COM
www.randstadCarsolutions.nl

I know that is one of the 2 legit suppliers in the Netherlands.
Last edited by Polobear6r on Sun May 24, 2020 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
iichel
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Polo 6R 2.0 TDI, Passat B8 2.0 TSI

Re: How to check original VCDS cable?

Post by iichel »

Moved topic to Electrical instead of 6R/6C section.
Polobear6r
New

Post by Polobear6r »

Sorry, i posted in the wrong section.

Here i have 2 pictures: for privacy reasons i blocked the serial key (i dont know if that is important so i blocked it)

Can i use this cable on a polo 6r 2011 and a Golf GTE ?

And i dont really know how Ross Tech works but can i use this cable also on my own pc? because it is second hand and maybe registert on another pc. Or do i need to buy another license or something?
Bepis
Silver Member
Drives: 2017 6C GTi Manual

Post by Bepis »

Edit: I got the wrong cable, ignore me :oops: .
Last edited by Bepis on Mon May 25, 2020 11:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
RUM4MO
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

Bepis wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 1:46 am It looks like a HEX V1 cable. Here's a link to VCDS' own page on it:
https://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/old-i ... es/huc.php
Compatibility:

This interface works with all diagnostic-capable VW, Audi, Seat, and Skoda models from 1990 through 2015.
It does NOT fully support the following vehicles:

2016+ Audi Q7 (Rest-of-World) Chassis 4M (2017+ North American Region chassis F7)
2016+ Audi A4 B9 (Rest-of-World) chassis 8W (2017+ North American Region chassis F4).
2017+ models (including all MQB-A0 cars such as the SEAT Ibiza KJ)
In summary it won't support anything after 2015 so it should work on the 2011 6R, not sure about the GTE.

Hope that helps :)
Are you sure that you didn't mean to write "it is a HEX+CAN and it will not cover new models launched after 2015 roughly, so it will work with your 6R Polo but might not work with the GTE".

To OP, there is a option in the opening screen that is labelled "ABOUT" it should show that sellers name and location there if it is genuine and legal, after buying it you will be able to change that to your name and location by registering with RossTech.

I could be wrong about the owners details in that version as I never looked at it in my earlier version which I traded in to get VCDS HEX-V2.

I does look genuine though, so grab it!

Edit:-put it this way, if or when you want to upgrade due to buying/looking after newer cars, you can sell it on, I've seen that being sold for stupid money on ebay, maybe about £300 or even more!

Another Edit:- to add in "not" ! My mistake.
Last edited by RUM4MO on Mon May 25, 2020 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ciclo
Drives: 6R'13/G7.5'19

Post by ciclo »

Your best choice would be to buy a NEW HEX-V2, for the Golf GTE, ... and 6R (of course).

https://www.ross-tech.com/index.html

May
20% discount.

Info with links that will solve doubts:
https://forums.ross-tech.com/showthread ... post199360
Bepis
Silver Member
Drives: 2017 6C GTi Manual

Post by Bepis »

RUM4MO wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 9:59 am Are you sure that you didn't mean to write "it is a HEX+CAN and it will cover new models launched after 2015 roughly, so it will work with your 6R Polo but might not work with the GTE".
Yep my bad. Probably best not to do research at half one in the morning :oops: .
Polobear6r
New

Post by Polobear6r »

ciclo wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 10:13 am Your best choice would be to buy a NEW HEX-V2, for the Golf GTE, ... and 6R (of course).

https://www.ross-tech.com/index.html

May
20% discount.

Info with links that will solve doubts:
https://forums.ross-tech.com/showthread ... post199360
Yes, new would be better but also more expensive. The GTE is for a family member that like some minor adjustments but it is not really that important.
It's mainly for me because i want to retrofit cruise control in my polo.

Thank u all for replying.
RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

Bepis wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 1:46 am Edit: I got the wrong cable, ignore me :oops: .
You are not the only one to make a mistake, I missed out "not" but I've corrected that now!
ciclo

Post by ciclo »

A time ago, when I bought my official ross-tech cable, the sale of genuine ross-tech products on Spain or European websites was more expensive than buying them directly from the official website. My decision was to buy it directly on the official website.
Shipped directly from the United States. (fast shipping 🚀 :lol: )

---
By the way, I'm going to update the number of VINs of my HEX-V2 right now ... 💲20% discount💲... coupon CODE: 20years 🤑 :lol:
Polobear6r
New

Post by Polobear6r »

Well i paid 200 euro's for this cable and got unlimited VIN's so for me that counts for something.

The person showed me everything and how it works so im very happy.

I tried it on my polo and saw a few fault codes. Did an autoscan and cleared the codes. They are all gone now.
Now i can start looking into changing my BCM Im a little nervous about it but but i just have to do it.
RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

ciclo wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 5:57 pm A time ago, when I bought my official ross-tech cable, the sale of genuine ross-tech products on Spain or European websites was more expensive than buying them directly from the official website. My decision was to buy it directly on the official website.
Shipped directly from the United States. (fast shipping 🚀 :lol: )

---
By the way, I'm going to update the number of VINs of my HEX-V2 right now ... 💲20% discount💲... coupon CODE: 20years 🤑 :lol:
Ooooh, I might investigate that!
RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

Jorrick wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 8:42 pm Well i paid 200 euro's for this cable and got unlimited VIN's so for me that counts for something.

The person showed me everything and how it works so im very happy.

I tried it on my polo and saw a few fault codes. Did an autoscan and cleared the codes. They are all gone now.
Now i can start looking into changing my BCM Im a little nervous about it but but i just have to do it.
I am old so just love to print off screen dumps or record all original programming AND print it out!

I keep meaning to create "prog maps" for all the controllers in my cars, but I have not done that - yet! I have bought a battery support unit though, so I have no excuse!
ciclo

Post by ciclo »

Jorrick wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 8:42 pm ...
I assume the BCM change is due to wanting to install the cruise control on your 6R (2011).

Don't worry at all, changing the BCM in a 6R is a really easy process if you go from BCM 085 or 086 (part number ending in) to one that is BCM High 087 and that can manage cruise control.
For this BCM change you don't need additional cables, just follow the process of the following link:
http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.ph ... eplacement

Note: remember that for all keys/remotes you must enter the value 0 and repeat de indicated process with all the keys/remotes you have.

Later you can install and code the CCS (engine and BCM units), everything will work without problems if you install the wires/parts correctly.
Polobear6r
New

Post by Polobear6r »

ciclo wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 11:48 am
Jorrick wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 8:42 pm ...
I assume the BCM change is due to wanting to install the cruise control on your 6R (2011).

Don't worry at all, changing the BCM in a 6R is a really easy process if you go from BCM 085 or 086 (part number ending in) to one that is BCM High 087 and that can manage cruise control.
For this BCM change you don't need additional cables, just follow the process of the following link:
http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.ph ... eplacement

Note: remember that for all keys/remotes you must enter the value 0 and repeat de indicated process with all the keys/remotes you have.

Later you can install and code the CCS (engine and BCM units), everything will work without problems if you install the wires/parts correctly.
Ah thanks that is reassuring.
Indeed I’m going form 85 to 87. For the cruise control.
My polo was a trendline basic version. It did only come with central locking in the doors not with a remote key fob.
I installed a 3rd party remote keyfob keyless entry system. Does the process for config the keys apply to my situation? Or does it only apply if u have OEM remote keys ?