Oil Pressure Warning Light Electrical Fault

Discuss In Car Electronics / Electrical Systems - use with caution!
Matt_Hector
New
Drives: VW Polo 2012 (62 Plate) 1.2 Petrol Match

Oil Pressure Warning Light Electrical Fault

Post by Matt_Hector »

Hi all

The oil pressure warning light in my car is stuck on. When I turn the ignition to the first indent (without starting the engine) the entire dashboard lights up (as expected), all except for the oil pressure warning light. When I then start the engine, all of the warning lights go out (again as expected), and the oil pressure warning light illuminates, basically meaning it's inverted somehow.

The oil, oil filter and oil pressure switch have all been replaced with no success.

This is a long term fault that I have had for a few years now that I am finally getting around to trying to fix, this probably rules out the actual engine being at fault.

I was thinking that maybe some kind of wiring fault or the instrument panel itself may be the cause seeing as the pressure switch has been changed.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Matt
Johntheo1
Bronze Member
Drives: 2018 MK10 AW1

Re: Oil Pressure Warning Light Electrical Fault

Post by Johntheo1 »

It may be something to do with the oil level sensor, with the engine running and light (wrongly illuminated) remove the wire from the oil pressure switch and see if the warning light goes out. Its strange because even if its inverted then the light should change once the RPM change around 1600 to 2000 rpm.
With a normally working system, the warning (for oil pressure) isn't armed until the engine revs are > 1600/2000 RPM, in other words if you had removed or forgotten the replace the oil sensor wire; the alarm would still not annunciate until the revs are as stated above.