The Guide to shorter drop links

Chat about your facelift 9n3 Polo - Including the 9N3 Polo GTI!
Tim_GTi
Post Whore

The Guide to shorter drop links

Post by Tim_GTi »

Right guys, there seems to be a post every few days regarding drop links, which ones to go for, why to change them in the first place etc etc. So I've done a quick guide explaining everything so it's one place, people can read this and be done with it.

Right so,
Q - What are drop links?
A - Droplinks are parts that connect your ARB (anti-roll bar) to your suspension strut.

Q - What's an Anti-Roll Bar?
A - It's a metal bar that stretches across the bottom of your car (from drop link to drop link) that help decreases body roll.

Q - What relevance does this have to lowering your car?
A - When lowering your car you alter the angle of your ARB and run the risk of causing it to clash with your drive shafts, meaning you hear a 'clunk' whenever you turn.

Q - How can this be resolved?
A - Two ways, one would be to increase the height of your suspension, but we all know that sometimes this isn't a favoured thing to do. Which leads me to option 2, buy shorter drop links.

Q - How does shorter drop links help this issue?
A - Shorter drop links pull the ARB up so it sits higher, thus solving the issue of it hitting your drive shafts.

Q - Which drop links do I buy?
A - I am sure there are many out there which do this job, but it's a known fact that a couple do the trick.

Drop link one:
Vmaxx drop links. These can be purchased here as I'm sure a lot of other places also. These in comparison to standard drop link are tiny, I'm not sure of either measurement do they do the job.

Drop link two:
Mondeo drop links. These can be purchased on eBay (I would post a link but it would expire within a month), at an rough price of £15-20 delivered. Great price! however, compared to the standard drop links these are not that much smaller. I have unconfirmed stories of these drop links not doing the job properly your slammed to the floor, however I have no confirmation on this (As I'm sure I've heard somewhere they're still fine), when I hear more on this I will alter this post. Don't be put of by this though, as there are many, many satisfied customers out there that use these.

Q - OK great, so which Mondeo drop links do I go for?
A - 2003 Mondeo drop links are recommended throughout, I'm 90% sure older ones fit also, but year 2003 ones are a 100% safe bet.
kc
Gold Member
Drives: an imaginary one... for now

Re: The Guide to shorter drop links

Post by kc »

i am running 2003 mondeo metal droplinks on my gti running AP coilovers at a height as such you cant squeeze any fingers in the gap between your tyre and the arch and confirm that the mondeo ones are fine!

hope this clears minds up!!
VDUB-Polo
Getting There!

Post by VDUB-Polo »

F**kin Awesome guide!
Jeff GTi
Platinum Member

Post by Jeff GTi »

yeah grat guide tim

i am also using the metal mondeo drop links, with no issues or problems after 10 months use with my height setup being a finger thickness between arch and tyre
Tim_GTi
Post Whore

Post by Tim_GTi »

Cheers for info and feedback guys
aza_028
Bronze Member

Post by aza_028 »

I was wondering if i could have some advice off you guys that have replied on this thread

I have a 9n polo and i slammed it today

Rears are right down

Fronts have the helpers out and have about 1 and 1/2cm left worth of thread

I have fitted ford mondeo 2003 droplinks

But now the anti roll bar is rubbing BADLY on the driveshaft

Surely the droplinks would have sorted this

Advice needed asap guys

Cheers
noone025
Bronze Member

Post by noone025 »

Installing coilovers normally provides a new mounting point for the droplink.

After being under my car for a while the other day, I'm not sure where this would be rubbing. What makes you say its rubbing? Can you see it touching or do you have a noise?
Tim_GTi
Post Whore

Post by Tim_GTi »

aza - in that case you you may want to consider the smaller droplinks available from V-Maxx?
aza_028
Bronze Member

Post by aza_028 »

yeh can see and hear it mate, when you look at it the anti roll bar is cutting into the driveshaft and when you brake you can hear it inside the car.

How much are the v-maxx droplinks mate? where do you get them from and also will these stop the rubbing?
Tim_GTi
Post Whore

Post by Tim_GTi »

I've updated the link at the top for vmaxx droplinks now, here it is again though:

http://www.speedbox.co.uk/products/prod ... _droplinks

They're about £40.

Will they solve it? Well you can never be sure, but they are a lot shorter than the OEM and Mondeo ones.
VDUB-Polo
Getting There!

Post by VDUB-Polo »

Tim_GTi wrote:I've updated the link at the top for vmaxx droplinks now, here it is again though:

http://www.speedbox.co.uk/products/prod ... _droplinks

They're about £40.

Will they solve it? Well you can never be sure, but they are a lot shorter than the OEM and Mondeo ones.

Can you confirm that's the right link to the V-Maxx droplinks - i'm about to but=y them now =)
Tim_GTi
Post Whore

Post by Tim_GTi »

Yep, correct ones.
diesel_ash
New

Post by diesel_ash »

another option is to cut and weld them, cheap but a pain in th arse to get the right!!!
Tim_GTi
Post Whore

Post by Tim_GTi »

diesel_ash wrote:another option is to cut and weld them, cheap but a pain in th arse to get the right!!!
May as well do an hour and a halves work and buy shorter ones!
diesel_ash
New

Post by diesel_ash »

cant beat the smell of argon though!