Rear washer.

Chat about your facelift 9n3 Polo - Including the 9N3 Polo GTI!
05-Jmay
New
Drives: 1.2 2006

Rear washer.

Post by 05-Jmay »

Hi all,

When I first got my 2006 polo in Feb. (Private seller) I got home and noticed the rear washer wasnt working (missed checking this along all the other checks) anyway when operating the washer I could hear the pump but when I got out to the back of the car there was a puddle of water on the left, took it to my brother (not a mechanic) who pulled it apart and got the spray to work and no longer had a puddle on the floor. However I went to use it moments ago and it wasnt spraying the front ones are perfect and the reservoir is full but again another puddle at the back to the left :cry:

Could this be a leak? Or something that can be easily resolved? Or will it be a costly repair?

I've always wanted a polo and now I have one i get really upset when something's not right 🤦‍♀️😂

Thanks in advance.
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Re: Rear washer.

Post by RUM4MO »

I'd get another brother, as that one has not fixed it properly.(joke!)

Anyway, your brother probably found one of the usual points in the hose where a join is and that join had come apart, normally this is due to either the spray nozzle being chocked and the pump pressure forces the hose pipe joint apart, or in winter time not enough winter washer additive has been added to the fluid and the washer fluid has started to slush or freeze - and that also pops the pipes apart at these joins. So these pipe joining points are there to aid easy assembly in the factory, but also, because they are not too strong, maybe protect the pipe work by avoiding certain situations.

In short, your brother probably needs to strengthen up that pipe joining mechanism by fitting a cable tie/tie wrap and that should not be a problem again - just remember to always keep the washer fluid at the right strength to avoid it freezing in colder weather conditions.
Ev996sps
New
Drives: 1.2s

Post by Ev996sps »

What happens is,the connection near the abs block behind the battery comes disconnected,normally by operating the washer while still frozen,I had six like it over the years,simple job,battery off makes life easier,fill up the bottle,open bonnet,get someone to operate the washers,you will then find the pulled apart connection,just push it back on,.
LeonSymnz
New
Drives: 9n3

Post by LeonSymnz »

Ev996sps wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:05 pm What happens is,the connection near the abs block behind the battery comes disconnected,normally by operating the washer while still frozen,I had six like it over the years,simple job,battery off makes life easier,fill up the bottle,open bonnet,get someone to operate the washers,you will then find the pulled apart connection,just push it back on,.
OP said there was a puddle in the boot... this would suggest this section is fine.

In the boot, left hand side, pull the carpet away and you'll likely see a loose pipe. They are white/transparent iirc. Just pushes back in.