Gearbox crunch

Chat about your facelift 9n3 Polo - Including the 9N3 Polo GTI!
Bev196
New
Drives: 2007 VW Polo 1.8T GTI

Gearbox crunch

Post by Bev196 »

Hi all. I have a 2007 9n3 GTI which I love to bits. However it's just started to grind horribly going from 1st to 2nd gear. No problem with other gears and no power loss issue or jumping out of gear. I'm thinking of getting the gearbox rebuilt but wondered if anyone else had any views before I take that drastic (and expensive) step. Thanks guys.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

just_ben1996
New
Drives: 56 Reg 1.2 Mk4 (facelift)

Re: Gearbox crunch

Post by just_ben1996 »

I have the same problem, my current thoughts based of asking others are either a throw out bearing, low gearbox fluid (if such a thing exists and my friends aren't winding me up) or the most likely option being something with the clutch pedal itself not properly engaging even when it's on the floor, maybe a master or slave cylinder issue.

What I'm going to try (in order) is;
- Flush master and slave cylinder hydraulic fluid and check clutch cable tension
- check gearbox fluid and top up if required
- Cry and replace throw out bearing and probably pressure plate while I'm at it
Bev196
New
Drives: 2007 VW Polo 1.8T GTI

Re: Gearbox crunch

Post by Bev196 »

Hi Ben. I had exactly the same issue on mine 1st to 2nd. Had the gearbox taken apart professionally as they thought it might be the syncromesh but it wasn't the gearbox at all it was the clutch. £1500 later but at least I know it's all ok now! So I would investigate the clutch first. Having said that my gearbox doesn't whine any more!

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk