9n3 parts swapping

Chat about your facelift 9n3 Polo - Including the 9N3 Polo GTI!
Turbocod
New
Drives: 9n3 1.2

9n3 parts swapping

Post by Turbocod »

Hi, after info and compatibility. Got my son a 1.2 basic as anything 9n3, needs a few bits sorted but quite nice really.
Already have a set rear discs and calipers do just got cables to get for upgrade to discs at back.
Have got hold of Ibiza TDI front hubs to fit, and then sort front brake upgrade,
So what else from other vag group cars are an easy (ish) upgrade? Do Springs from a cupra or Vrs fit? Shocks etc.
Is it possible to fit Audi A1 seats in, or any others, its a 3 door. Steering wheel or any other parts, Ibiza, fabia, A2 all same platform?
Did get hold of a Central locking brain, but couldn't match key to it, so may be wrong type of key fob.
And have rear speakers from a 9n and panels to fit, was offered seats too, presumably they are straight swap, or are airbag connection different?
Sorry, its first time with a polo, had a caddy van and that was upgraded with Ibiza/Cordoba mk3 golf parts.
Thanks Dave
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Re: 9n3 parts swapping

Post by RUM4MO »

That is serious braking upgrading that you are doing to a low powered "first" car!

I prefer rear discs to rear drums, but with these small light cars, the drum brakes are more than good enough and I'd doubt if fitting discs will improve things and will come with the bonus of easier cleaning - but the rear under used rear discs will corrode quickly and probably need replaced every 3 or 4 years, not because of reaching their wear limit, but due to corrosion especially on the hidden inner faces.

Fitting springs from VRS etc, why, these springs are from a much heavier car and designed to support that much heavier unit.

If this is your son's first car, I'd think that he would develop as a safe young driver better if he has to use a car with adequate brakes, but that is just my thoughts - my older daughter got a well used Fiesta 1.6Si the one with the Zetec engine, to use as first car, lucky her! The first one she bought and paid to run was a ropey Ibiza 1.4 8V, that was a shock after the Fiesta 1.6Si.

Edit:- swopping front seats, if the airbag connectors are different, you could always remove the pins and fit them into the connector that that Polo had originally - that is assuming that the seat airbags from each are compatible with the controller.

Key matching, I've never tried doing that, but as far as I know/think, the immob stuff is in the dash pod as that is where the immob pickup coil connects to.
Turbocod
New
Drives: 9n3 1.2

Re: 9n3 parts swapping

Post by Turbocod »

Thanks, Upgraded brakes are the usual on my vehicles, caddy had gti fronts and discs on rears, and only an SDI engine to start, same with the suspension, better to sort these things for future possible power increasing, easier to get stuff done as we are building it up. Rather than 'why?' Its more 'why not?'
My mini has 4 pot, vented discs, fully adjustable suspension and numerous tweaks, but is still 998cc.

Was wondering if any seats such as Ibiza or Audi A1 would bolt to the floorplan of the 9n as the original ones are pretty flat and unsupportive.
Interested in changes people have made utilising other vag parts, eg mk4 golf interior lamp, TT pedals, suspension from other models along the lines of fitting mgf bottom arms on metros for improved suspension, or when Clio sport front suspension fits to a mk1 Clio and widens the track, or mk3 golf gti does similar to mk2 or caddy.
Building the car is a lot of the enjoyment for us, and surprisingly insurance can lower, and we can use it for occasional track days.