Show me your head unit

Chat about your facelift 9n3 Polo - Including the 9N3 Polo GTI!
ironkerton
New

Re: Show me your head unit

Post by ironkerton »

ironkerton wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 9:57 am I cannot get the original head unit out. Got 4 keys (mildly dodgy generic euro ones). One bit is clicked in and wiggles a bit but this is not moving!

Any ideas?
I got it out! Brute force, several cuts and sheer stubbornness later. This was by FAR the hardest bit of the whole thing and now we have a lovely modern touchscreen with maps meaning I've been driving round and calling everyone all day haha
ironkerton
New

Post by ironkerton »

ironkerton wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 9:57 am I cannot get the original head unit out. Got 4 keys (mildly dodgy generic euro ones). One bit is clicked in and wiggles a bit but this is not moving!

Any ideas?
I got it out! Brute force, several cuts and sheer stubbornness later. This was by FAR the hardest bit of the whole thing and now we have a lovely modern touchscreen with maps meaning I've been driving round and calling everyone all day haha
Bepis
Silver Member
Drives: 2017 6C GTi Manual

Post by Bepis »

Got the OE radio pocket installed which looks much better IMO.
Radio install 3.jpg
Seems that VW usually fits the pocket at the top and radio at the bottom with the intermediary shelf in between. So as a tip for those looking to install the OE pocket below the radio you won't need the intermediary shelf as it won't fit and you should install the pocket before the radio or at least before you bend the tabs out on the cage or you'll have you bend the radio cage a bit to get it in underneath.

Part numbers:
6Q0 857 058 C 1QB - Pocket
6Q0 858 167 A9 B9 - Pocket insert
1J0 857 725 C - Intermediary shelf

OE pocket alone probably costs around 4x an aftermarket one, the shelf and insert are around £10-£15 each from the dealer.

For those with a factory fitted iPod holder they are fairly easy to remove. You can either remove just the holder (like I have) or you can remove the whole thing but I didn't see much point in doing so, however, you will need to if you want to fit a 9n3 card/coin holder in its place. I followed this guide up to step 3.
https://www.clubpolo.co.uk/forums/topic ... pod-touch/
Radio install 4.jpg
The image is rotated in the post for some reason but is the right way up if opened in another tab.

You don't really have to remove the rubber grommet when pulling the wire through you can just tuck the 30 pin plug back on the cable and push/pull it through. If you don't care that much about how it looks then you can just snap that trim piece back on but have 2 holes in your dash or you can get the blanking piece from a 9n1 as they didn't have a card/coin holder. I pulled the blanking plate from my 9n1 but the top right and bottom clip snapped so used some epoxy to stick them back on and it's currently drying in the garage as the epoxy stinks.

If you want to remove the whole thing then there is a Torx toward the top at the back which holds the box onto the main radio bracket in the dash that the 30 pin connector comes from, then a cable goes from that to the quadlock connector. Not sure if that's all the steps as I haven't done it myself but that seems to be all there is to it.

Part numbers:
6Q0 858 576 A - RHD Blanking plate from a 9n1
6Q2 858 373 - RHD Credit cardholder from a 9n3

Hope this is of help to anyone looking to do the same :)