9N3 - Door lock cylinder does not stay in - Internal carrier plate replacement

Chat about your facelift 9n3 Polo - Including the 9N3 Polo GTI!
Heinz
New
Drives: 9N3

9N3 - Door lock cylinder does not stay in - Internal carrier plate replacement

Post by Heinz »

Slowly working through my job list on a 2007 Polo and I need to ask your advice before I tackle the next one !

Problem = the door lock cylinder does not stay in the handle, hence it is easy to pull out which is clearly not great

Cause = A little investigation and I've discovered that the T20 bolt that you can access from the edge of the door has been replaced by a pointless small headed bolt (by some idiot before me !) and so the collar around the lock barrel never spins to retain the actual lock (If you look at the attached image, you can see the bolt in question to the top right).
Doorlock.jpg
So I've ordered a replacement "backing handle" from eBay as an VW original is £40 and all I actually need is the missing bolt !

Questions
My plan of action is to remove the door card (the internal plastic panel) and then I also intent to remove the metal door inner panel so I can access the back of the lock etc. Does anyone have a guide for taking this metal door inner off ? My biggest question is about the window, and if I need to tape it up before removing this panel as I've watched lots of YouTube videos but its not totally clear.

Then once I have this fully exposed does anyone know if I can access this inner handle ? If I can, am I able to easily remove it from the door so I can install the missing bolt ? If so, how....
Has anyone else had the same problem or got any experience to share ?

s-l640.jpg
Thanks in advance !!!
scotspie501
Getting There!
Drives: 2002

Re: 9N3 - Door lock cylinder does not stay in - Internal carrier plate replacement

Post by scotspie501 »

Hi

Did you manage to get a fix on this as I have the same issue that my barrel can come out even with the screw tight

how does it hold the barrel in
CarbonChaos
Silver Member
Drives: 2015 6C GTI DSG Oryx white 3 door.

Re: 9N3 - Door lock cylinder does not stay in - Internal carrier plate replacement

Post by CarbonChaos »

The screw head rotates the barrel locking ring, seen in the OP picture in silver it’s like a C shape

Prone to falling out and landing in the bottom of the door if undone too far :?
Heinz
New
Drives: 9N3

Post by Heinz »

As CarbonChaos says, it’s the T20 screw seen top right in original photo that turns the silver locking ring (silver C shape in top image). If you remove the rubber bung in the side of the door, shine a torch in you be able to see the screw (or lack there of I suspect).

Sadly to repair it requires the inner door card (the plastic trim) to be removed and then the inner steel door panel as well. Trim is fiddly but ok, whilst the steel door also requires the window to be removed, as the lifting mechanism is part of that steel panel which suddenly becomes an ever bigger job.

All in, a massive job all because some bright spark loosened the screw too far originally and hence it fell out !!

Good luck, let us know how you get on !