Engine mounts

Chat about your facelift 9n3 Polo - Including the 9N3 Polo GTI!
Bepis
Silver Member
Drives: 2017 6C GTi Manual

Engine mounts

Post by Bepis »

Looking at replacing my engine mounts as I have a fair amount of movement in the drivetrain occasionally followed by a thump when letting off under high load or putting my clutch in, in stop-start traffic once the drivetrain has loaded up.

TLDR:
Do all the engine mounts for the different engines share the same bolt pattern to the body?
Are the mounts different in terms of stiffness or construction based on them being for petrol or diesel engines?

My question is do all the engine mounts for the different engines share the same bolt pattern to the body?

The reason I'm asking is because Febi Bilstein seem to be the only ones that are fairly easy to get ahold of however they do not make the right-hand side (timing belt side) engine mount for the BUD engine but they do for pretty much all of the other engine codes. Looking at the images of the mounts the body side of the mount seems to be the same across all of them with the engine side having different mounts based on the engine code however it looks like you could easily separate them by doing a single nut.

I guess a follow-up question would be are the mounts different in terms of stiffness or construction based on them being for petrol or diesel engines? For example, do the diesel mounts have more and or stiffer rubber in the mount, and are the mounts for smaller engines softer?

Edit: Seems like you can only really do this with the mount at the timing belt side and febi bilstein 23880 seems to be the best fit.
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Re: Engine mounts

Post by RUM4MO »

Maybe a different car, my I had this issue with my wife's 2015 Polo 1.2TSI 110PS, and I think that VW's warranty fix was to replace the gearbox top mounting for the TDI version, and that worked very well.

As you have suggested, there will be a few "stiffness" levels/versions, the TDI being the stiffer ones, I found that for the group of cars my wife's Polo was in, that there were 3 versions of that gearbox mounting, only 2 used by VW and only 2 used by Skoda, the TDI version was common but the petrol engined cars used different ones, I can't say why.

Typically at least all 5 speed manual gearbox fitted cars will have the same pick up points - for at least the top gearbox mounting ALL 7 bolts must not be reused are they get tightened to a torque then 90 degrees, ie torqued to yield.

I'd be very surprised if someone has not done any of this in the distant past - maybe more so in the slightly earlier car section/age, noise levels might increase depending on which mounting and which version you use at each of the 3 points, by the way as far as I can remember, very little if anything has changed physically at these 3 pointing points from 2001 until at least 2017. Part numbers might have changed and now changed the first 3 digits but normally that happens when a part is revised and it is first fitted at factory to a newer platform so a 6Q0 can end up up becoming a 6R0 or even a 6C0 depending on when it was first used at the initial assembly at the factory, and these revisions might only be an improvement or a vender change.