Caliper pin bushes

Chat about your facelift 9n3 Polo - Including the 9N3 Polo GTI!
TommyPolo
New
Drives: 2007 1.2

Caliper pin bushes

Post by TommyPolo »

Hello,
I've been running my 'freebee' 1.2 Polo for the best part of a month now ( see my previous thread for more details! )

Really pleased with the car, can't get over how little fuel it uses after my old Mercedes 190!

I have pretty much got through my list of jobs :D

The oil leak turned out to be a leaking oil filler cap seal!!! It had a big ridge worn into it where the cap pushes it onto the cam cover, I simply flipped it over, cleaned all the oil from down the side of the engine, I removed the alternator and cleaned it up and put it back on with a new drive belt. Not a sniff of oil now!!!

I replaced the split CV boot which turned out to be very simple too.

I've done an oil and filter change and checked all the brakes front and rear to search the source of the judder wnen braking which brings me to my question........

I initially thought the culprit would be a warped/out of true disk but I got my DTI on them on both sides and they are both perfect, this obviously got my head scratching. I then checked the hubs were true and sure enough they are fine, the wheels and tyres also are fine too. Can't find any loosness in any of the suspension either. I then decided to remove the calipers and that brings me to the slider pins and rubber bushes, the pins look perfect but I think the bushes are shot as the pins are loose in the bushes especially on the drivers side they literally waggle about! I'm pretty covinced these worn bushes must be the source of the issue.

I see the reuild kits are readily available, I have always used 'Bigg Red' in the past so I'll probably buy their kit.

My question is ....do worn pin bushes cause brake judder and how difficult is it to replace the bushes?
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Re: Caliper pin bushes

Post by RUM4MO »

First the oil filler cap seal, you can buy new seals by themselves either from VW or online - that is if you need to, I'd think that that seal is now getting to be a bit too hard to seal that cover and the cam chest area.

ECP and others will also sell calliper mounting kits which might be cheaper than BiggRed when postage is taken into the equation.

I've never had or tried to replace these big chunky ones that that brake manufacturer uses on that design of calliper, from memory ATE otherwise known as Theves. I have had to remove the Lucas/TRW type ones after using too much blue Loctite on the calliper mounting bolts, ie reusing old bolts!
TommyPolo
New

Post by TommyPolo »

Update.....

Got the Bigg Red bushes, only £6.99 for 4!

Fairly easy to fit, just use plenty of the silicon grease on the outside of the bush to enable the bush to push easier into the caliper.

When I came to fit the pins back I noticed something, the top pin does not sit square to the hub carrier and does not run parralell to the bottom pin! It seems the pin at sometime has been cross threaded. I'm hoping this is the source of the problem?

I've got a new carrier of ebay, the wheel bearings feel good so it should be a farly straightforward swap although I believe the nut on the end of the drive shaft is not reusable and needs replacing once removed so I'll have to get one before I start.
RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

Yes the drive shaft nut normally needs replacing, but, I've taken them off a 2002 Polo and the locking tang broke on each side so I replaced them, I had bought in new ones anyway, when working on a late 2009 Ibiza, I got the nut off without the locking tang breaking or bending, but I also replaced that one as the original nut was probably not made quite as correctly was it should have been!

It is a pity that you are sorting this out this way, sellers on ebay provide a kit to sort out damaged calliper mounting bolt holes, the best ones are the type that provide drills + jig plate + "top hat" threaded inserts - these inserts get pulled in the the other end of these holes. This issues plagues any cars that use that method to mount the callipers so not only a VW Group problem.

Edit:- the socket I used to remove these 12 pointed nuts was a deep impact quality Draper one and its wall thickness was small enough for it to get down into the recess/counterbore of the hub. Obviously it as a bi-hex socket. Getting the hub carrier out of the suspension leg might need a big Spline bit to hold the head of the clamping bolt, also a suitable tool to ease open the split in the hub carrier - without cracking it!

Another Edit:- bi-hex socket for the 12 point front drive shaft nut is 36mm, Multi Spline or XZN bit for strut clamping bolt is M14.
TommyPolo
New

Post by TommyPolo »

Ahh thats interesting, well I would rather attempt a repair especially if it's possible in situ and the carrier can stay on the car!

Would you have a link to a kit? I've searched but I'm struggling to find one?

Thanks.
CarbonChaos
Silver Member
Drives: 2015 6C GTI DSG Oryx white 3 door.

Post by CarbonChaos »

I believe this is the type of kit RUM4MO is talking about

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/252305383894

This is just an example others are available 🤔
RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

Yup!

If you buy that kit, maybe you could "refresh" all 4 calliper mounting threads, once done you could forget this for ever.
TommyPolo
New

Post by TommyPolo »

I've ordered the kit, I found the same kit for half that price so snapped it up!

Looks like you esentialy drill it out to the next size up and fit an insert, the key will be keeping it all square!

Sure will save me some time if it goes ok, also the driveshaft nuts are almost £10 so that pretty much pays for the kit!!!!