Tdi Running cool

Chat about your facelift 9n3 Polo - Including the 9N3 Polo GTI!
Philmk6
New
Drives: Mk7 tdi facelift

Tdi Running cool

Post by Philmk6 »

My 58 Polo Tdi was running cool so i changed the thermostat which i bought from the local factors. This made little difference to the problem as it still takes forever to get to 80c and when i put the heating on full it drops to 60c. I understand that the optimum running temp is 90c but its never got there. When i fitted the new thermostat i noticed there are plastic pin like mouldings in the inside which go against the thermostat body when fitted ( horizontaly with bleed hole at top) one of these small pins had broken off. Are these plastic pin-like mouldings critical to the function of the thermostat? Does this mean the themostat is not being held securley to the cylinder block thus allowing coolant to seep thru and not allow the engine to reach optimum temp?? I am considering buying a new housing if this would put things right. Anyone have any similar experiences or tips...Cheers
Johntheo1
Bronze Member
Drives: 2018 MK10 AW1

Re: Tdi Running cool

Post by Johntheo1 »

The top radiator hose should be cold up to a indicated 75C,
Philmk6
New
Drives: Mk7 tdi facelift

Re: Tdi Running cool

Post by Philmk6 »

Hi johntheo1, the hose does get slightly warm I have noticed. This is why I think theres an issue with the housing