Clutch would appear to have given up.HELP!

Chat about your facelift 9n3 Polo - Including the 9N3 Polo GTI!
Colin Devine
New
Drives: 2006

Clutch would appear to have given up.HELP!

Post by Colin Devine »

Hi folks, new to this.

My step daughter has a 2006 Polo on an 06 plate, unsure what Mk it is.

Problem is the bite point in the clutch is extremely high, and on the way to her work she suddenly lost gears.

The pedal is still up, hasnt sunk to the floor, and there has been no loss of pressure or feeling through the pedal.She says it lost gears with a slight but not loud "pop".The car still runs fine.

When pressing the pedal down and selecting a gear there is a very slight grind/grumble when lifting off the clutch, but zero drive, would this be clutch failure or could it possibly be that the cable has broken?

Any help and advice is much appreciated.

Cheers for now,

Colin.
CarbonChaos
Silver Member
Drives: 2015 6C GTI DSG Oryx white 3 door.

Re: Clutch would appear to have given up.HELP!

Post by CarbonChaos »

Hi Colin
The clutch is hydraulic so no cable , loss of drive could be the clutch itself but equally could be a failed drive shaft or internal gearbox issues.
Colin Devine
New
Drives: 2006

Re: Clutch would appear to have given up.HELP!

Post by Colin Devine »

Hi, thanks for that,

I had a sneak suspicion it may actually be the drive shaft as when it let go it done it with a thud, no noise as such, it just wont drive.

One thing I noticed when towing it home, while screwing in the towing eye, I could hear an faint rattle directly behind the offside front, when I put the wheels on full offside lock, I noticed the drive shaft kind of rocking with a corresponding rattle which made me think it could be that and not the clutch, as I say, you can select a gear no problem, lift foot off the clutch and it just doesnt move.

If it is the shaft is it a big job?

Thanks again in advance.