Rear drums

Chat about your facelift 9n3 Polo - Including the 9N3 Polo GTI!
patters78
New
Drives: 9n3

Rear drums

Post by patters78 »

Hi

Polo 2008 1.2 Petrol

Have never really serviced drums so could do with a little help.

Took apart passenger side drums as they were locked on (car sitting for a while) and the springs that retain the shoes broke.
So after checking the shoes/mech they had enough pad and moved freely i decided to buy a fitting kit and just refurb the system, so on the one side all new springs.
When fitting back i broke the bleed nipple from the cylinder :evil: so quickly got a new cylinder on sunday, the replacement seems a little larger and after doing some digging they have different sizes 19 & 17.
Anyway at the time i didn't notice the difference and fitted it anyway but now the brake grinds constantly on the rear and i think its on the other side?
Do you have to refurb both sides ie new springs and then adjust the hand brake after that? also will the new cylinder be a problem?

Cheers
CarbonChaos
Silver Member
Drives: 2015 6C GTI DSG Oryx white 3 door.

Re: Rear drums

Post by CarbonChaos »

Best practice is to do both rear brakes at the same time when replacing shoes but not if your replacing a wheel cylinder ,only replace the failed item providing you check the other side and all is ok.but they need to be the same otherwise you get different brake pressures
If you had bought a genuine rear shoe kit it will have come all ready to fit -all built up with springs and all you have to do is fit the parking brake cable.
As for your grinding I expect it’s corrosion on the inside of the drum where it’s been standing which caused the original stuck brake problem.