Low speed engine problems

Chat about your MKIII (86C) inc GT/G40 Polo
dang
New

Low speed engine problems

Post by dang »

Hi

I’m hoping someone can help me with this I have a 1992 1043cc Polo CL Coupe. I only saw this problem a few times when I was stuck in traffic for a long time when the water temp gauge would get to the 100-110 mark but it happened this morning on a normal drive to work (5 miles).

After a while when I slow down to below 20mph in 1st and 2nd the engine seems to lose most of its power like its being choked the car slows right down almost like the brakes have been put on then the engine revs up and the car lurches forward this repeats for a while till it gets to around 20mph this makes driving in heavy traffic a nightmare as I never know what its going to do!! Its had a head gasket replaced in the last few months and just gone through it MOT ( back and front break hose's and a new thermostat installed ) I took it back to the garage as the water temp seems to be getting up to the 100-110 mark allot quicker then it used to but they took it for a test drive and found no problems. I hope that made some sense I have explained the problem to the garage but it never seems to happen when they have it!! Any ideas would be very appreciated I really dont want to sell/scrap it but its starting to get worse.

Thanks!
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Re: Low speed engine problems

Post by alexperkins »

Clean the throttle body out for sure and check your air filter and that is clean.