cigarette lighter

Chat about your MKIII (86C) inc GT/G40 Polo
callum181
New

cigarette lighter

Post by callum181 »

Hi.
First of sorry if this is in the wrong place not sure what mk my polo is. Its a J reg vw polo coupe boulevard.

My problem is I plugged something into the cigarette lighter and nothing happened At first i thought it must be the fuse ok no problem checked the fuse its fine. Besides the radio works witchs work of the same fuse so i took the dash board apart and when i pulled the ash tray out with the cigarette lighter there is no cable attached to the back of it. It does not seem to be dangeling behind it ether. There is no adapter behind there or the glove box area to connect to the back of this. Also i cant see any loose cable to hint at somebody removing it there is some joins and black tape connecting wires together there is also some random red led under the radio behind the dash board there is what seems to be a hole drilled in to a switch blacking plate on the dashboard not sure if the led was supposed to pop through it still not sure what thats for.

So can anyone help me i did try to attach some cables to the cigarettle lighter and at first it seems to works ie charge my phone but then it went dead and turned of so must not be enough voltage.

Sorry for the long post and me going on put though i would try give a full description of my problem and what i have found so far thanks.

Callum

EDIT: moved to correct section by Tim_GTi
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Re: cigarette lighter

Post by alexperkins »

Hi Callum

Firstly, welcome to the forum

Your polo is a MK3 :)

Basically, the wiring for the cigarette lighter is on the same loom as the radio, so there is a good chance its tangled up behind somewhere up there. if not, you can easily make up a quick loom and tap it in to a live feed.

The red led in the dash is for an alarm - it would mean it either has an immobiliser or alarm of some kind fitted so I wouldnt worry too much about that.

Where abouts are you based?

cheers

Alex