Fuel pipe problems

Chat about your MKIII (86C) inc GT/G40 Polo
davej100
New

Fuel pipe problems

Post by davej100 »

The other day someone cut through my fuel pipe and drained about 4 gallons out of my tank. They actually cut through two pipes just under the sill. I am trying to work out which pipe is which. One pipe seems to be a breather, it's made of rubber and goes up into the wheel arch. The other way it runs to the front of the car and goes into a sort of resevoir behind the drivers side headlight. Another pipe comes out of this and goes into some electrical device mounted on the front bulkhead and another pipe comes out of this and goes to the throttle body. Does anyone know what this pipe does?

The other pipe which they cut is the one they got the petrol out of. It's greenish plastic but I am not sure if this is the feed or the return. I started off in the car and then smelled petrol and noticed the guage was on empty, whereas it should have been just over halfway. I stopped (having travelled about 300 metres) but left the engine running. I thought someone had broken into my petrol locking cap and siphoned the fuel out (this happened about a year ago) but noticed a pool of petrol forming under the car. So I drove back home and reversed back onto the drive and switched the engine off. If it was the feed pipe which had been cut I doubt if the car would have run that far, if at all. Would it have been possible to drain the tank via the return pipe. When parked on the drive the rear of the car is higher than the front. Maybe the fuel would syphon out of this pipe down to a certain level. What do people think?

I was thinking of replacing the pipes with the stuff which is reinforced with stainless steel wrap only it would be too big to fit into the clips on the underside of the body. So will have to replace with original.

Dave