1993 1.3 Polo Gearbox Oil

Chat about your MKIII (86C) inc GT/G40 Polo
alasdairh
New

1993 1.3 Polo Gearbox Oil

Post by alasdairh »

Hi,

i am confused about gearbox oil, my Haynes manual says 75W 90 bout it doesn't mention anything about whether its GL4 or GL5, does anyone know which is the right gearbox oil for my 1993 1.3 Polo?

Thanks
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Re: 1993 1.3 Polo Gearbox Oil

Post by alexperkins »

Any semi synthetic 75W90 gearbox oil is fine for the mk3 gearboxes.
alasdairh
New

Post by alasdairh »

excellent thanks,

so the GL4 and GL5 part makes no difference for that gearbox?

and also eurocarparts only have 80W90 GL5 listed for my car, i assume that stuff will be ok too

cheers
Tahrey1043
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Location: Birmingham! Enjoys: The pseudo-G-Smiles provided by a 1.6 Megane Sport valver...

Post by Tahrey1043 »

Yeah, no difference for an old, cheap machine - they were probably made before either standard was finalised, so GL4 is plenty protection enough. Considered good enough to be the base standard for my own yr-2000 car (though GL5 is preferred for better protection --- mind that some boxes are allegedly DAMAGED by the additives in it* so better to play safe).
* This may be complete crap, but I was warned of it for my own and took some time double checking so it may be worth passing it on. Something about the type of metal alloy in the synchros not being compatible and wearing down extra fast.

The choice between 75/90 and 80/90 is probably more down to the conditions it lives in and how you drive it, as it's a subtle difference (more so than choosing between 80/90 and the 75/80 I was once sold). In Britain and to cope with the extra stresses you may put on it, I'd prefer to use the wider grade type if you can get hold of it. It'll be thinner when cold, giving full protection sooner and making changes quicker and smoother in the first few minutes, but still be at about the same consistency as the thicker stuff once it's been running a while and warmed up from internal friction and heat conducted down the shaft from the engine.

Changed & topped up the oil in the current ride because the box was making nasty noises and sometimes felt completely unlubricated, it's a bit quieter now, but I used 80/90 and there's a noticable difference in shift quality between cold and hot. In these winter months 2nd gear has been a pig some days in the first couple miles (variously slow to synch, balking, or even grinding) but smooth as silk towards the end of the journey.