1994 Polo Instrument panel lamp out

Chat about your MKIII (86C) inc GT/G40 Polo
kdLeeds
New

1994 Polo Instrument panel lamp out

Post by kdLeeds »

I am preparing a 1.0 litre Polo for MOT and noticed that the small main beam LED on the instrument panel doesn't work and I guess this will be
an MOT fail. The display has 7 small LED's in a line (not the 2 row type of display) My question is, how do you change the lamp.
I have removed the 3 screws in the 2 piece plastic shroud that goes round the indicator / wiper switch arms and removed the lower half of the shroud, but the upper half, although loose, will not come off. I am assuming I need this off to remove the complete instrument panel to get to the lamps. Any help appreciated.
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Re: 1994 Polo Instrument panel lamp out

Post by alexperkins »

do your mainbeams work on both sides as the dash light wont work if either sides fuse is blown
kdLeeds
New

Post by kdLeeds »

Alex, thanks for your reply. Both main beams work and all fuses are OK, so it must be the small blue LED that has blown. Has anyone ever had to replace any of these LED's & if so, how.
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Post by alexperkins »

Its not an LED. In fact it is a small bulb, with a blue enclosure - the rest are LED apart from the main beam lamp.

Its a case of steering wheel off, and clocks out im afraid - the clocks are removed using two prong radio removal keys if you know what I mean, then the bulb is just in a screw holder on the back.
kdLeeds
New

Post by kdLeeds »

Thanks Alex, I will give it a go
Tahrey1043
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Location: Birmingham! Enjoys: The pseudo-G-Smiles provided by a 1.6 Megane Sport valver...

Post by Tahrey1043 »

you can do it without removing the steering wheel - i have, to swap in a genesis set - but it's a pain... but doable. just have to get the angles right, particularly when reinserting (because of the wiring connector). wooden barbecue skewers work in the place of radio tabs if needed. :twisted: