Dash and rear of car rattles

Chat about your MKIII (86C) inc GT/G40 Polo
Coops
Getting There!

Dash and rear of car rattles

Post by Coops »

coming from the clocks, are they sposed to have some kind of foam padding all the way round where front of the clusters meet the dash plastics? only got some at the bottom and if you push the top of the cluster in the rattle stops

so wondering if theres something missing?

also sounds like something in the boot is rattling as well, common things it could be after lowering as i swear it wasnt there last week before i lowered the car?

any help/advice much appreciated

cheers

Coops
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Re: Dash and rear of car rattles

Post by alexperkins »

Most likely the boot lid rattling - mine does it all the time, and I can only seem to improve it temporarily!

Try twisting the rubber stoppers on the base of the tailgate to make them longer - that should help!
Tahrey1043
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Location: Birmingham! Enjoys: The pseudo-G-Smiles provided by a 1.6 Megane Sport valver...

Re: Dash and rear of car rattles

Post by Tahrey1043 »

You could try pushing pencil rubbers into the gap round the clocks and seeing if that helps... or a bit of copydex... or some expanding plumbers foam (careful!) :mrgreen:

the noise from the rear could be your exhaust or something to do with the suspension if you've overdone the drop!
that, or... if it's anything like mine was... there's two big holes in the metalwork that should probably be covered with plastic panels but it would have been too expensive... and stuff can fall into the gap between the shell and the bodywork panels if you're not careful. (I swear I've lost at least a remote control and a cuddly toy that way when moving "house" with the car) --- could just be a bit of change or other random detritus has got in there and rattling about. Even more likely, the spare wheel well. All manner of crap collects in there and anything metallic will make itself known. Also, parcel shelf, maybe your suspension vibrates at a different pitch now - or at least more harshly - and it's resonating? Good luck :)