mk3 1.0 litre gearbox

Chat about your MKIII (86C) inc GT/G40 Polo
watkins.alex
New

mk3 1.0 litre gearbox

Post by watkins.alex »

does anyone have mk3 1.0 litre gearbox 4 speed laying around????
Tahrey1043
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Location: Birmingham! Enjoys: The pseudo-G-Smiles provided by a 1.6 Megane Sport valver...

Re: mk3 1.0 litre gearbox

Post by Tahrey1043 »

Hello hello hello helloooo did someone call my name? Flying through the clouds of former internet haunts when rediscovering my old website I land here today. Very coincidental.

I've got one lurking in a big ol' crate (that I was given an 8P in) at the back of my shed, not exactly getting in the way but still taking up space. It should still be functional but it did have a bit of a whine (I traded up both to get a motorway 5th (for the sake of prosperity - yes, the car was fine with it!) AND because I wasn't sure on it's remaining lifespan - but I've since thrashed a Renault with much more gear noise for more than a year and it's still OK)

Can't guarantee that all the output flangey whatchermacallits from the diff are the right size as I had to chop and change a bit to mate up the "new" one, and because of that it may have the wrong mounts (EITHER: I had to swap the 1.0/4sp ones onto the new box to make it fit, OR: I had to go scrapyard diving to get 1.3/5sp replacements), but I suspect you've got a blown one that needs direct replacement so may have both of these.
It's also been sat still for a few years with only a faint smear of oil left on all the internals, so could be a rust/seizure risk... but it is a dry box, and effectively "indoors" at least, plus it still turned alright by means of hand-to-shaft action when it was put away.

I got the fiver for gratis, so you can have this if you like. Tried giving it away before and no-one bit! It's just scrap metal without a car to live in. Word of warning, if you're doing this yourself, it's a complete pain in the balls without proper service-garage kit. If you're paying someone else to... it might make more financial sense to change the car rather than the parts.

What part of the country are you located in?