bugger bugger bugger.

Chat about your MKIII (86C) inc GT/G40 Polo
genesis92
New

Post by genesis92 »

It would be good practise to do it yourself. The only way you could know is by doing it, starting it up, compression check etc. etc.
deadcat
Bronze Member

Post by deadcat »

genesis92 wrote:It would be good practise to do it yourself. The only way you could know is by doing it, starting it up, compression check etc. etc.
how do you do a compression test?
i have a compression tester, but don't know how to do it.
Tahrey1043
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Location: Birmingham! Enjoys: The pseudo-G-Smiles provided by a 1.6 Megane Sport valver...

Post by Tahrey1043 »

1. disconnect ignition wires
2. remove spark plug of cylinder you want to test
3. screw tester (or tester sensor and flylead) into plug hole
4. crank the engine on the starter (or get a friend to do it for you) for a few seconds whilst reading the guage

I dont know what the pressures are supposed to be, about 9.5 for a CL? About 0.5-1 bar either way of that is ok, anything more and it needs adjusting. Anything less than 7 or more than 11 needs immediate attention, as does a difference of more than 3bar between adjacent cylinders. Should build up quickly from nothing to a stable high compression within a couple of strokes. If it increases slowly then something's not right eg leaking piston rings...

All that's half-remembered haynes knoweldge by the way..

Best of luck!
alpolo9n
Getting There!

Re: bugger bugger bugger.

Post by alpolo9n »

I am looking at the same problem here. Anyone can offer to send a used engine my way if its required. I can pay for all the charges. I am waiting till tomorrow to get an answer from my mechanic as to how much I need to pay for this. If its too costly, would like to get a used one from UK. I am living in Brunei. Quite far but not impossible.