Are You Using Oil?

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
skipster
Silver Member
Drives: 2010 GTI

Re: Using Oil!

Post by skipster »

big_amir wrote:Update!

I've got my car back finally. It's not fixed.

After an email to the dealer principal it has now been sorted and I will be getting a brand new replacement .

He spoke to vw on my behalf and said I can have anything Upto the value I paid for mine.

So I decided I want the same again. He said the cars coming from the factory now have a new lower part of the block. And they now seem to be ok.
Well - thats something I guess, but yes, that a whole lot of aggro you have had to go through. I guess though you may have to wait a while to get the new vehicle. So I guess you are driving round in your current 'broken' GTI until the new one arrives?
big_amir
Getting There!

Post by big_amir »

At the moment yes, however the dealer principal is trying to organise me an exchange car to use, As the car will not go back to VW.
The dealer is going to replace the bottom half of the block to sell the car. So they would like it so they can do the repairs, however they not allowed to sell it until my new car comes for some odd reason.
I must say once the dealer principal has got involved the level of service is great and he has helped restore my faith in VW, sorting out this issue quite quickly.
big_amir
Getting There!

Post by big_amir »

AJ_7 wrote:
big_amir wrote:After an email to the dealer principal it has now been sorted and I will be getting a brand new replacement .

He spoke to vw on my behalf and said I can have anything Upto the value I paid for mine.
[Sarcasm] Wow, that's generous [/Sarcasm]

No offering of any compensation for the malarky you've been put through? I personally find it a joke they offer you the same value as what you paid. Do they not take into consideration all the trips to the dealers, time without your car when your knobbing around in some 3-pot courtesy car? The time/money you've wasted making phone calls and trips and any other expenses which you should have to pay for when you've just shelled out the best part of £20k for a new car. If I were you and ordering a new Polo GTi, i'd voice my concerns and try to get a few factory extras thrown in as a gesture of good will on their behalf.
In fact I've been OK with courtesy cars as i cant drive manual cars for long periods of time so i have always insisted on an Auto, I've only ever had the basic polo twice once when they were checking the handbrake and glove box and then when the initial oil issue happened and that was only for about 6 hours each time. When they changed the rings i was given a 1.4 TSI Golf Plus (DSG) and for the last 4 weeks i have been given a brand new 61 Plate 2.0 TDI DSG Golf estate.

Regarding compensation im going to try and get tinted windows and a MFSW from them as these are really the only options i didn't spec, I already have everything else par the panoramic roof and extra airbag thingy.

TBH i am so busy at work all the time i don't even know where the time has gone from June up until now. I just want a working car where i don't have to stop on my commute every 2 weeks to top the oil up, I already spend enough time in the petrol station :lol:
JohnPolo
Silver Member
Drives: 2015 Polo GTI

Post by JohnPolo »

That's interesting news re the engine block redesign.
I'd be happy with a new GTI if it had this modification. (Panoramic roof this time too). :)
gavs
Silver Member

Post by gavs »

He said the cars coming from the factory now have a new lower part of the block. And they now seem to be ok.
Dunno where he pulled this one from mate but the only thing to have changed is the pistons and rings. I would say that the reason behind this excuse is because they haven't re-honed the bores when they have replaced the pistons and rings, hence why you still had issues even after teh new pistons and rings went in. A guy locally has just recieved his GTI about 1.5 months ago and it's not any better than those that were built 2 years ago. It comes down to the running in and oil from the factory, I am sure. From what I have found here, people who "think" they have bedded in the motor hard haven't really, they just think they have by hard acceleration a few times. Speak to a high performance engine builder that runs customers engines in on a dyno and I think people will find that they way they have done it is nowhere near hard enough to load up the engine and force the rings into the bores.

7700kms on mine with an oil topup at 3500kms with shell helix. Change 1000kms ago and the oil hadn't moved since the top-up (including a HARD run the day I topped up) and after the change it hasn't moved a drop. Run in proceedure? Hard acceleration from near idle in 3rd up to redline then engine brake a few times, then find some hills and go up them on ful boost loading the engine all the way up, then engine brake all the way down. 120kms of this the day I picked it up and no more oil burning issues.
JohnPolo
Silver Member

Post by JohnPolo »

Oh for heavens sake, the bottom line is that the cars should not be losing so much oil... period. Or VW should write a disclaimer saying don't buy the new Polo GTI unless you have a degree in mechanical engineering.
Last edited by JohnPolo on Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wolfie
Gold Member
Drives: 6R1-1.2 TSI (2011, CBZB, 77Kw, 35Kmiles)

Post by wolfie »

JohnPolo wrote:Oh for heavens sake, the bottom line is that the cars should not be losing so much oil... period. Or VW should write a disclaimer saying don't but the new Polo GTI unless you have a degree in mechanical engineering.
+1.. This is a "production" car. You shouldn't have to do anything other than what it advises in the manual. It's a design fault pure and simple. If they are swapping pistons they've pretty much been caught red handed.
skipster
Silver Member

Post by skipster »

wolfie wrote:
JohnPolo wrote:Oh for heavens sake, the bottom line is that the cars should not be losing so much oil... period. Or VW should write a disclaimer saying don't but the new Polo GTI unless you have a degree in mechanical engineering.
+1.. This is a "production" car. You shouldn't have to do anything other than what it advises in the manual. It's a design fault pure and simple. If they are swapping pistons they've pretty much been caught red handed.
Yes, absolutely. I am fortunate enough to have owned several cars from new in the last 10 years and none of which have proved a problem with oil consumption until the Polo. I just drive them normally, neither thrashing it or treating it like I am walking on egg shells.

Not saying your theory is incorrect Gavs, but there should not really be any hard or fast rules with running the engine in, it is clearly a design fault. With my situation it is still so far so good with no obvious oil usage in 800 miles, but still a bit too early to make a decisive judgement.
JohnPolo
Silver Member

Post by JohnPolo »

VW technical trying to get me to do yet another oil test....I have refused!
skipster
Silver Member

Post by skipster »

JohnPolo wrote:VW technical trying to get me to do yet another oil test....I have refused!
Quite right John, and even then. What do they propose to do next? As you said before new engine or new car!
Edi30
Gold Member

Post by Edi30 »

I would recommend rejecting your car and ordering a new one or another car from the VW range.
daydotz
Silver Member

Post by daydotz »

mines back from vw im not holding out much hope though :roll:
john.p.clegg
Bronze Member

Post by john.p.clegg »

As I've joined this posting late in the day (page24) and don't want to search back 23 pages,can someone tell me model and year or engine type/s this is supposed to affect?
Thanks
John :wink:
JohnPolo
Silver Member

Post by JohnPolo »

john.p.clegg wrote:As I've joined this posting late in the day (page24) and don't want to search back 23 pages,can someone tell me model and year or engine type/s this is supposed to affect?
Thanks
John :wink:
The new VW Polo GTI. I took delivery of mine end of September 2010 and I have an oil issue with mine, so do guys with late 2010 and 2011 models. Engine is the 1.4TSI 180bhp.
daydotz
Silver Member

Post by daydotz »

my dsg failed this morning not even 24hours its broke again