Are You Using Oil?

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
JohnPolo
Silver Member
Drives: 2015 Polo GTI

Re: Using Oil!

Post by JohnPolo »

skipster wrote:
bullwinkle wrote:600 miles larer and my Gti used 800ml.

Going back in on Monday to get the Piston Rings done. Hoping that will fix it.
Yes - good luck bullwinkle. Mine has had the rings done and appears to be ok. Have done 1,100 miles without any noticeable change on the dipstick. Its just about to have its first service in the next few weeks so the oil will be drained again anyway and topped up, but I still want to wait a few 1000 miles until I am completely convinced, looking good though.

John has not been so lucky as you will have read :(

It is curious Skipster. If it is such a simple fix as they say, then why has VW in some cases replaced the car/engine or done a refund?
tt509
Gold Member

Post by tt509 »

mine use a bit but not like it did so its 1/2 right lol
skipster
Silver Member
Drives: 2010 GTI

Post by skipster »

JohnPolo wrote:
skipster wrote:
bullwinkle wrote:600 miles larer and my Gti used 800ml.

Going back in on Monday to get the Piston Rings done. Hoping that will fix it.
Yes - good luck bullwinkle. Mine has had the rings done and appears to be ok. Have done 1,100 miles without any noticeable change on the dipstick. Its just about to have its first service in the next few weeks so the oil will be drained again anyway and topped up, but I still want to wait a few 1000 miles until I am completely convinced, looking good though.

John has not been so lucky as you will have read :(

It is curious Skipster. If it is such a simple fix as they say, then why has VW in some cases replaced the car/engine or done a refund?
I wish I knew the answer John, there must be some factor that decides these issues, can't believe the consumption can vary by that much from engine to engine. Presumably cars that have consumed a lot more oil VW have decided that the block requires requires a cylinder re-hone, and it is probably more cost efficient to replace the whole engine. As for car replacement, I suspect this could come down to the dealer and their negotiations with VW, after all that is a 'last resort' option.

Checked my car earlier, yes - it has definitely used a little, it appears to be at the top level of the hatched area, I just hope it does not suddenly drop off.
Stugolf1
Getting There!

Post by Stugolf1 »

Further update with my Polo Gti, took it into the dealers to get a stamp in the book for a service it had when I bought it, the service lady asked if I had any problems, I stated its used a bit of oil but no more than the book says 1litre per 1000 miles she says she'll get an engineer to have a look, 10 mins later comes back out and says it needs a full rebuild with pistons's, piston ring's, cylinder head etc

To say I was shocked was an under statement! No fuss no oil evaluation, just spoke to the guy in the garage and it has a list of new parts to be fitted
JohnPolo
Silver Member

Post by JohnPolo »

Stugolf1 wrote:Further update with my Polo Gti, took it into the dealers to get a stamp in the book for a service it had when I bought it, the service lady asked if I had any problems, I stated its used a bit of oil but no more than the book says 1litre per 1000 miles she says she'll get an engineer to have a look, 10 mins later comes back out and says it needs a full rebuild with pistons's, piston ring's, cylinder head etc

To say I was shocked was an under statement! No fuss no oil evaluation, just spoke to the guy in the garage and it has a list of new parts to be fitted
Wow what a quiet admission from VW that there is a major problem with these engines. (Be interesting if I get sent down that route....car still at dealer).
I was told by VW UK that a new engine may not fix the issue. Hardly inspires confidence.
gavs
Silver Member

Post by gavs »

And yet, the media remain quiet.....
Update on mine, just ticked over 10,000kms and no change since the initial little burn-off after the full oil change....
Stugolf1
Getting There!

Post by Stugolf1 »

It was a real surprise to me as they just took my word for it (other than having to top my car up with oil)

They did say there is a "bulletin" from VW about this engine and its high oil consumption so as previously stated in this thread VW are aware of issues, unfortunately I didn't get to see this bulletin but did get a glimpse of the parts list required and it was fairly substantial
skipster
Silver Member

Post by skipster »

Stugolf1 wrote:It was a real surprise to me as they just took my word for it (other than having to top my car up with oil)

They did say there is a "bulletin" from VW about this engine and its high oil consumption so as previously stated in this thread VW are aware of issues, unfortunately I didn't get to see this bulletin but did get a glimpse of the parts list required and it was fairly substantial
Yes - I think the tech bulletin was issued around July time, even when I was at my dealer last month they said another Polo GTI was in for the piston ring upgrade, so yes the dealers really have no excuse for not knowing about this problem.
JohnPolo
Silver Member

Post by JohnPolo »

These engine rebuilds must cost a small fortune for VW. I wonder how much it would have cost outside of warranty??
Stugolf1
Getting There!

Post by Stugolf1 »

Assuming between £80 and £100 an hour labour including parts I would estimate around £3,500 if you were to do this yourself out of warranty, depending of course on what they actually change
JohnPolo
Silver Member

Post by JohnPolo »

Update on mine.

Have been told VW are to replace the whole bottom half of the engine.
skipster
Silver Member

Post by skipster »

JohnPolo wrote:Update on mine.

Sounds like a new course of action John just replacing the bottom half of the engine, fingers crossed for this. Maybe there is a slightly revised block. Hopefully you will get it back very soon.
big_amir
Getting There!

Post by big_amir »

JohnPolo wrote:Update on mine.

That's what there doing to mine, before they sell it.

Did they not offer you an exchange.
JohnPolo
Silver Member

Post by JohnPolo »

No exhange offered. I've had the car too long maybe at 14 months, easier in the first 6 months to get rid, if case law is anything to go by.
Also complicated by the fact that my old dealer was taken over and no liabilities bought. Bad timing.
Legally I've given them sufficient chance to fix it, so if it does not work this time I'd demand money back/exchange or hand it to my solicitor, before VW make a fool out of me some more.
skipster
Silver Member

Post by skipster »

My optimism about my car may be about to be shattered. This morning I saw some puffs of oil smoke out the exhaust when pulling away, first time I have seen this since 'the fix'.

It is a drastic improvement for sure, but I am beginning to think that there is an underlying design flaw here, not surprisingly. Can't believe it, 1200 miles in, will check the dipstick in a moment and will advise my dealer when it goes in for normal service in 2 weeks time. :cry: