Are You Using Oil?

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
skipster
Silver Member
Drives: 2010 GTI

Re: Using Oil!

Post by skipster »

JohnPolo wrote:Think mine was built week 36, 2010. There was never any hope for us then with such early cars! :roll:
Got challenged by a guy in his new Golf TDI..... he lost.
Yes - I suspect the dealer will put me on another 1000km test, I don't think they will just accept my word for it, especially as it is a different dealer this time.
JohnPolo
Silver Member
Drives: 2015 Polo GTI

Post by JohnPolo »

skipster wrote:
JohnPolo wrote:Think mine was built week 36, 2010. There was never any hope for us then with such early cars! :roll:
Got challenged by a guy in his new Golf TDI..... he lost.
Yes - I suspect the dealer will put me on another 1000km test, I don't think they will just accept my word for it, especially as it is a different dealer this time.

That's right. You could be lucky but I think VW tech will insist on another 600 mile test. Get customer services involved too it seems to add weight to any grievance, they'll open a case file.
skipster
Silver Member

Post by skipster »

Well had my Polo serviced today and was told that oil use is 'within tolerance'. I understand that 0.8 of a litre had burned off since the ring update, that does sound ok to me.

They have said it can be rechecked after a 1000km test, if I have concerns with it, they could not explain the puffs of oil smoke though.

I don't know, if it burned off 0.8 litre in 1350 miles, then there is no problem and not worth taking it back, maybe it is ok :D

All I can do is monitor it and hope it improves further. Overall I guess I am happy things seem to be ok, but still have that nagging doubt whether there could be future issues, at least there are 2 years of warranty to go anyway.
JohnPolo
Silver Member

Post by JohnPolo »

skipster wrote:Well had my Polo serviced today and was told that oil use is 'within tolerance'. I understand that 0.8 of a litre had burned off since the ring update, that does sound ok to me.

They have said it can be rechecked after a 1000km test, if I have concerns with it, they could not explain the puffs of oil smoke though.

I don't know, if it burned off 0.8 litre in 1350 miles, then there is no problem and not worth taking it back, maybe it is ok :D

All I can do is monitor it and hope it improves further. Overall I guess I am happy things seem to be ok, but still have that nagging doubt whether there could be future issues, at least there are 2 years of warranty to go anyway.
Hopefully some tech head on here will advise you. Searching for the info on the net suggests that some oil is still getting into the cylinder. I find it hard to believe that they ( the dealer) couldn't explain it. The dealerships hate saying anything out of turn for fear of upsetting their masters. What about an emissions test? How about a new engine? :wink: Good luck anyway.
(New Audi AI 4WD 1.6TSI 220Bhp out nxt year I think, food for thought)
skipster
Silver Member

Post by skipster »

Cheers John, yeah - difficult one. You know what, I may just accept it now, it is not as if I do big mileage, and if it burns a little extra oil, then so be it.

If things get worse, then clearly I will be back to the dealer like a shot, but if it did only burn 0.8 litre in 1300 miles (post ring update), I can live with that, I am hoping that the general trend will be less oil used as the mileage increases.
JohnPolo
Silver Member

Post by JohnPolo »

Update on new engine I had under warranty.
Had the low oil light come on after just 1200 miles. :roll:
Dealer put more oil in and I have to monitor it. VW UK seem not to be happy with this on my behalf and want me to keep them updated, which I certainly intend to do.
Thumbs up to VW customer care who have always been a great help to me.
Message to VW Germany. Great idea this TSi engine just let us know when you have perfected it, may be worth buying one then. :roll:
POLOGTI2011
Bronze Member

Post by POLOGTI2011 »

JohnPolo wrote:Update on new engine I had under warranty.
Dealer put more oil in and I have to monitor it. VW UK seem not to be happy with this on my behalf and want me to keep them updated, which I certainly intend to do.
Message to VW Germany. Great idea this TSi engine just let us know when you have perfected it, may be worth buying one then. :roll:
Had all this done to mine new engine after 4000 then new rings.. now at 11,000 its drinking oil again and now on a 4TH oil test my local vw havwe had to buy scales to weigh the oil just for my car haha! Still in talks of getting rid of it
skipster
Silver Member

Post by skipster »

Oh no! I thought you were sorted John, judging by lack of activity on this thread I thought things were improving for everyone, so much for my optimism.

Did you see any tell take smoke out the back at all? Of course, your engine is bedding in all over again but I would not have expected to see the oil light come on already. This is unbelievable.

I can't comment on my car, as have only covered 200 miles since service, been using our other car much more instead. As I mentioned before my service, ours had covered 1,300 miles and 'apparently' it had used 0.8 litre in that time.

Hopefully yours will improve with more miles but this contradicts other comments on here.
nodoze
New

Post by nodoze »

I haven't read through everyone's experiences in this thread but I think some of these vehicles are going in for oil consumption tests far too early. I won't comment on the unfortunate engine changes undertaken to date as I did my best to ignore most hyperbole because in my mind the mineral oil put in these cars is put there for a purpose – to run the engines in properly.

I've just rolled 13500 kms and am almost ready for my first service. In this time I have only topped up on two occasions with a 1 litre bottle of LiquiMoly 4200...once at 3000km and another at 7000km. Since the 7K top up I drove from Melbourne to Queensland's Gold Coast and back (22 hours each way thereabouts) and the oil level has not moved on the stick from where it should be. I honestly believe this long stint of driving has most certainly helped the engine settle as opposed to many the short stints of city driving I was doing previously.

It will be interesting to see if VW service centre attempt to put in more mineral oil when I take it in.
JohnPolo
Silver Member

Post by JohnPolo »

nodoze wrote:I haven't read through everyone's experiences in this thread but I think some of these vehicles are going in for oil consumption tests far too early. I won't comment on the unfortunate engine changes undertaken to date as I did my best to ignore most hyperbole because in my mind the mineral oil put in these cars is put there for a purpose – to run the engines in properly.

I've just rolled 13500 kms and am almost ready for my first service. In this time I have only topped up on two occasions with a 1 litre bottle of LiquiMoly 4200...once at 3000km and another at 7000km. Since the 7K top up I drove from Melbourne to Queensland's Gold Coast and back (22 hours each way thereabouts) and the oil level has not moved on the stick from where it should be. I honestly believe this long stint of driving has most certainly helped the engine settle as opposed to many the short stints of city driving I was doing previously.

It will be interesting to see if VW service centre attempt to put in more mineral oil when I take it in.

One person's hyperbole is another person's oil smoke out of the exhaust.
Being a small island off the coast of Europe we don't quite have the luxury of a 22hr drive each way we'd end up in the big blue, but I take your point.
daydotz
Silver Member

Post by daydotz »

no news on mine i havent looked :lol:
Edi30
Gold Member

Post by Edi30 »

This must be very disheartening. Oil light on after 1200 miles is not a good start as my experince was that the mileage got less and less between oil top ups :( What have VW got to do to cure this problem :? This tread has been going on for almost a year and I also thought that things had improved. Feel for all of you, just hope your patience will pay off in the end. I do miss my Polo GTI but I am glad I rejected it based on your experiences.
JohnPolo
Silver Member

Post by JohnPolo »

http://www.ausmotive.com/2011/01/18/is- ... ngine.html

read the comments and weep. one person has had 3 engines. :shock:
skipster
Silver Member

Post by skipster »

JohnPolo wrote:http://www.ausmotive.com/2011/01/18/is- ... ngine.html

read the comments and weep. one person has had 3 engines. :shock:
Not good is it, I am not losing sleep over this issue though. As ever although we hear all the bad issues linked with this engine, it probably doesn't break as frequently as we are led to believe.
big_amir
Getting There!

Post by big_amir »

My New car is here i am picking it up on Friday. Went to the dealers today to drop it off so i could transfer my insurance etc.. and they gave me a brand new scirocco to use. I Dont think I've driven this many new cars ever. LOL

I think they have resolved this issue now as the new engine in my current car has done 2300 miles and has only had 350ml of oil. Yipeee!!! :D