Are You Using Oil?

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
skipster
Silver Member
Drives: 2010 GTI

Re: Using Oil!

Post by skipster »

big_amir wrote:My New car is here i am picking it up on Friday. Went to the dealers today to drop it off so i could transfer my insurance etc.. and they gave me a brand new scirocco to use. I Dont think I've driven this many new cars ever. LOL

I think they have resolved this issue now as the new engine in my current car has done 2300 miles and has only had 350ml of oil. Yipeee!!! :D
Good news Big Amir, remind us again, you are getting a brand new Polo?
big_amir
Getting There!

Post by big_amir »

Yep brand new, I've just driven this scirrocco home and I have to say what a fantastic car. It's the 170 bhp 2 litre diesel. I don't think I'd miss the gti if I had one of these.
JohnPolo
Silver Member
Drives: 2015 Polo GTI

Post by JohnPolo »

Very good news Amir.
But how did you get a new car if the new replacement engine in the current car is behaving itself and not using loads of oil? :?
big_amir
Getting There!

Post by big_amir »

JohnPolo wrote:Very good news Amir.
But how did you get a new car if the new replacement engine in the current car is behaving itself and not using loads of oil? :?
I think that maybe because the exchange was organised before the engine was replaced, as I have also been dealing with the dealer principal he seems very good and has been excellent along the process. I have no hesitation in recommending vw Daybrook in Nottingham to any one who is thinking of buying a car, they always say you can only tell how good the service is when something goes wrong, and I think they have it spot on.
Hurdy
Silver Member

Post by Hurdy »

Just put in 1/2 a litre. 2,500miles on the clock so far.
skipster
Silver Member

Post by skipster »

Just checked mine for the first time since service, having only done 350 miles this month, and the level was not at max. I could see the top of the hatchings for sure. Mind you, most journeys have all been quite short which can't be helping the situation. Oh well, will see how it goes over the next few hundred miles.
skipster
Silver Member

Post by skipster »

skipster wrote:Just checked mine for the first time since service, having only done 350 miles this month, and the level was not at max. I could see the top of the hatchings for sure. Mind you, most journeys have all been quite short which can't be helping the situation. Oh well, will see how it goes over the next few hundred miles.
Arrrrrrggggghhhhhhh!!!!! Went out for a bit of a spirited drive today and not all is well, saw 2 plumes of oil smoke when accelerating away and also there seemed to be a split second hesitation with the engine when that occurred.

It seems to be burning more oil since its service, for 1350 miles after the ring replacement, all seemed to be well. I am so fed up with this issue now and angry like the rest of you are in that it does not appear that VW are taking this problem seriously enough. :evil:
George H
Bronze Member

Post by George H »

I've just had to top mine up tonight. Used 2 and a half litres in 5300 miles.
skipster
Silver Member

Post by skipster »

George H wrote:I've just had to top mine up tonight. Used 2 and a half litres in 5300 miles.
Sounds fine, I have got less than 100 miles before taking mine in for the oil to be measured (weighed) again! :evil:
adzmofo
New

Post by adzmofo »

Sorry been a while guys but a quick update on my 60 reg polo gti.

Went in before Xmas and had the piston rings, lifters etc. replaced. Ran another 1000km test and used around 2 litres of oil straight away. Currently back in with the dealers and they're awaiting delivery of a new engine and gearbox for the car.

Gearbox issues were because it was making a knocking noise every time it changed down gear.
skipster
Silver Member

Post by skipster »

adzmofo wrote:Sorry been a while guys but a quick update on my 60 reg polo gti.

Went in before Xmas and had the piston rings, lifters etc. replaced. Ran another 1000km test and used around 2 litres of oil straight away. Currently back in with the dealers and they're awaiting delivery of a new engine and gearbox for the car.

Gearbox issues were because it was making a knocking noise every time it changed down gear.
Interesting, yes - I am sure you have read my posts but I am due to take mine in soon for its 1000km test result. If they say "everything is normal Sir", I think I will hit the roof. It is NOT normal to have oily smoke coming out the back. It does not do this all the time, but there is a fundamental fault. I think I will be next inline for a new engine.

Good luck with yours!
JohnPolo
Silver Member
Drives: 2015 Polo GTI

Post by JohnPolo »

Yes go for the new engine Skipster, mine seems to have settled down now and is behaving itself. :)
skipster
Silver Member

Post by skipster »

JohnPolo wrote:Yes go for the new engine Skipster, mine seems to have settled down now and is behaving itself. :)
You make it sound so simple John! :D

In a way I can't wait to have the argument with them, they will deny any fault of course and is all as per normal tolerances. My patience is wearing thin now though. The engine is definitely 'bogging down' after high speed running, its a split second hesitation and then I see the smoke out the exhaust. When it clears its throat, it drives like normal again. 85 miles to run now!
adzmofo
New

Post by adzmofo »

skipster wrote:
JohnPolo wrote:Yes go for the new engine Skipster, mine seems to have settled down now and is behaving itself. :)

In a way I can't wait to have the argument with them, they will deny any fault of course and is all as per normal tolerances. My patience is wearing thin now though. The engine is definitely 'bogging down' after high speed running, its a split second hesitation and then I see the smoke out the exhaust. When it clears its throat, it drives like normal again. 85 miles to run now!
How much oil have you used so far this time out of interest? Because of all the issues other people had experienced I was sorely tempted just to say it had used 3 litres to make sure they replaced it, as deceitful as it sounds! As it happens it had used not far off that anyway. Just hope the new engine doesn't have the same problems!
skipster
Silver Member

Post by skipster »

adzmofo wrote:
skipster wrote:

How much oil have you used so far this time out of interest? Because of all the issues other people had experienced I was sorely tempted just to say it had used 3 litres to make sure they replaced it, as deceitful as it sounds! As it happens it had used not far off that anyway. Just hope the new engine doesn't have the same problems!
Hi Adzmofo - cant say for sure. The car had its first service in Dec, so it would have been brimmed up at that point. It is now about 3/4 of the way up the hatchings, have done about 520 miles. What concerns me more than the oil consumption though is the smoke out of the exhaust, that is clearly not right. I am certain they are going to tell me it is all fine, when clearly it is not. I know my cars so they can't pull the wool over my eyes.