gti grill question

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
Craigy
Bronze Member

gti grill question

Post by Craigy »

just a quick one to ask what everyone paid for their gti front grills ?

also anyone got the part nummber ?
gavs
Silver Member

Re: gti grill question

Post by gavs »

$35,500. Not sure on part number because it came fitted.

Not being rude here, but can someone explain why you would fit a GTI grill to a non GTI? I mean, it's not a GTI and it's not like the bluemotion grill where it could be off any polo model. The GTI grill is definitive in that it has the honeycomb lattice and the red piping and that is only unique to the GTI. I just don't understand the concept of taking parts that belong to one specific type of car and putting them on another. I mean, even the lattice design in the grills will be different and not matching. It's not a GTI, I don't get why you would try to make a non GTI look like one, even if it is only the grill..... Happy for you to do it, don't get me wrong, I just can't comprehend why...... :) Might just be the convict in me;)
wolfie
Gold Member
Drives: 6R1-1.2 TSI (2011, CBZB, 77Kw, 35Kmiles)

Post by wolfie »

gavs wrote:Not being rude here, but can someone explain why you would fit a GTI grill to a non GTI? I mean, it's not a GTI and it's not like the bluemotion grill where it could be off any polo model.
I'm of the same opinion I just don't get it, or only get it to a certain degree. I can understand wanting to make your car "your own" with the addition of some subtle mods. But the "Slamming the suspension" just makes me laugh. Vdub spend tens of millions of deutsch marks, designing a suspension setup that gives the best setup for the car in a wide variety of conditions, loads etc. Yet people somehow think dropping it at as low as it will go and sticking ridiculously fat tyres on will somehow "improve" the handling.. Then make it worse by sticking rims on the car that just make it worse, either way too big and heavy, wrong diameter so it screws up the speedo, wrong offsets so the wheel bearing get destroyed. In short they don't really have a clue what they're doing. The cars look rediculas and become rolling roadblocks because they won't go over traffic humps without ripping the sump off. (Not all, there are some really clued up guys on here)

Personally a favour the subtle mods were you need to take a second look just to make sure it's no standard. There's a thread on here somewhere that I can't find where a guy has added "TSI" lettering on a "GTI" grill and it looks so subtle it could be standard and is very well done. Its quality now quantity that counts... :wink: :D

Just my opinion.. (It's your money, you can spend it how you like)
Craigy
Bronze Member

Post by Craigy »

first off i dint want to or have any intention to make my car look like a GTI

if i wanted a GTI i would buy one but i have better things to spend the extra £10k on right now

i do however want the top grill to match the lower one and the only one that does that is the GTI

also the GTI badge would be removed and replaced with the likes of a wolfburg badge (so you can sleep easy gavs) as my car is NOT a GTI :wink:

furthermore If i was attempting to make my car look like a GTI i would have bought GTI wheels and not the 17's that i did

now get your head out of your own GTI arse and settle down to a panic as no one is trying to make a cheap copy of your car

Anyone able to answer my original question ????????
gavs
Silver Member

Post by gavs »

Craigy wrote:first off i dint want to or have any intention to make my car look like a GTI

if i wanted a GTI i would buy one but i have better things to spend the extra £10k on right now

i do however want the top grill to match the lower one and the only one that does that is the GTI

also the GTI badge would be removed and replaced with the likes of a wolfburg badge (so you can sleep easy gavs) as my car is NOT a GTI :wink:

furthermore If i was attempting to make my car look like a GTI i would have bought GTI wheels and not the 17's that i did

now get your head out of your own GTI arse and settle down to a panic as no one is trying to make a cheap copy of your car

Anyone able to answer my original question ????????
Bloody hell, I wasn't having a dig at you, I was just asking the question as to why and this single line "i do however want the top grill to match the lower one and the only one that does that is the GTI " answered the question. Geez, no hard feelings on my part but if you're a bit sore over me just trying to find an answer to the question, here you go, 99 euro, halfway down:
http://translate.google.com.au/translat ... d%3Divnsfd

Next time I do pull my seemingly arrogant and superior-complex inflicted GTI head out of my arse, i will be sure to wave at you when i'm back in the ol' dart if I see you.

Thank me later.
AJ_7
Gold Member

Post by AJ_7 »

Not sure what model Polo you have craigy. I'm planning on modifying and installing a GTi Grill on my 1.2 TSI SEL, so it looks like the following. I've also seen one that's had the red stripe resprayed black which I may consider also! Looks very OEM imo.

(Disclaimer) I'm not ripping off the GTi and pretending my car is a GTi, I simply prefer the front of the car with a honeycomb grill :mrgreen:

wolfie
Gold Member
Drives: 6R1-1.2 TSI (2011, CBZB, 77Kw, 35Kmiles)

Post by wolfie »

Those are the sort of mods I really like, You'd be hard pushed not to know it's wasn't a standard Vdub part. Really suits the red too. Go for it..
Boyracer_2011
Silver Member
Drives: 1.2 Moda

Post by Boyracer_2011 »

Hey Craigy,
Im with you on this one, I like the 'GTI' grill, look much better. If you take the 'GTI' badge off I cant see the problem.
I payed 70 from a German dude on ebay.de. Iv put a 'Sport Edition' Badge on over the gap :-)

Der Finne.
Getting There!

Post by Der Finne. »

I used an 'ABT' badge... :)

I think €75 is what the grill currently costs in many German e-shops, plus €15-€20 for P&P.