Polo GTI - Sound Generator on bulkhead?

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
mousebat
New

Polo GTI - Sound Generator on bulkhead?

Post by mousebat »

Hi all,

Was out on a fault finding drive with a VW technician from my local dealer (trying to find the source of a creaky seat! Now replaced under warranty :wink: ) and after about 5 minutes of driving around he suddenly burst out laughing.

When I asked him what was so funny he said he could really hear the sound generator behind the dash. Apparently a lot of sporty VAG models now come with a little speaker module that is attached to the can-bus and varies it's pitch by RPM/load. I wonder if I can turn it off with vcds?

Anyone care to confirm thru etka or similar? I don't know what to think of it, I'm dumbstruck by the whole thing. It seems completely needless to have fake engine noise played in the cabin and seems kind of faggy.

daydotz
Silver Member

Re: Polo GTI - Sound Generator on bulkhead?

Post by daydotz »

I'm aware the Ibiza does not sure about the polo though
gavs
Silver Member

Post by gavs »

GTI has it. As far as I know though, it's not a speaker but a resonating pipe with a solenoid on it to open it and close it depending on throttle load, but who am I to question a VW liar, sorry technician;)
mousebat
New

Post by mousebat »

I thought it was the MKV Golf with that arrangement? As far as I can tell thru google and hearsay this generation gets "noise generators". To be fair I canny tell with my GTI because I've never heard another TSI before and as far as I can ascertain the speaker is pretty much a subwoofer and as uses the lower frequencies?

Any chance of confirmation via parts diagram :wink:

All the best

MB
gavs
Silver Member

Post by gavs »

Stiggy
Getting There!

Post by Stiggy »

You have got to be kidding me! :|
mousebat
New

Post by mousebat »

Unplugging mine for the drive to work. If my car sounds like its powered by hamsters tomorrow I might plug it back in! :lol:
mousebat
New

Post by mousebat »

Oops forgot to say many thanks for the pic gavs!
AJ_7
Gold Member

Post by AJ_7 »

Anyone know the part number and if this could be fitted to the 1.2 TSI? :)
JohnPolo
Silver Member
Drives: 2015 Polo GTI

Post by JohnPolo »

Can't believe what I'm reading.
When I first had the car I told friends that in the cabin it didn't sound like a 1.4 at all, but much more powerful. A mate joked that perhaps there was a tape/cassette in the boot creating the sound....he wasn't far out. What a fraud. :o
gavs
Silver Member

Post by gavs »

I forgot to add you need to remove most of the cowling below the windscreen to get to this bit, maybe even some of the dash.

The mx5 has a pipe off the intake that runs in under the dash also, purely for noise. If indeed it is just a speaker, how then does the engine note change significantly to the ear when a new intake is put on the car.....? There might a hidden microphone somewhere! :P I don't mind being proven wrong but if indeed the case of it just being a speaker, that's just dead weight to me and it comes out! :)
Vissa
Getting There!

Post by Vissa »

It's called a soundaktuator. It's even listed specialy on the GTI options sheet. ;)

Yes it's some kind of speaker working togheter with the can. Just unplug it just on the top left under the hood. It's a stupid sound, rrally when you are driving on the highway. Really reminds me on the people who just buys a big rear pipe for there car without a muffler. BWAAAAAAP.

Unplug it, get yourself a full milltek turboback system with ECU tuning and you got yourself a GTI that has the right to be called that way! :P