Re: Putting in Xenons - guide

Post by NeilMcConville »

MOT aint for 3 years :)
Marc080
New

Post by Marc080 »

rover220 wrote:Good luck come mot time.
4 years away, and keep all the old bulbs, so i will just put the car back to normal then
NeilMcConville
Gold Member

Post by NeilMcConville »

Had mine for just under a year now (y)
CANDYMAN
Gold Member

Post by CANDYMAN »

On HID4U they list a 35w kit or a 55w kit what watt are these ones?
Marc080
New

Post by Marc080 »

SAMBA VAN MAN wrote:On HID4U they list a 35w kit or a 55w kit what watt are these ones?
35W is what i would go for, 55W tends to be from china... which means all replacements are had to come across and will set you back a huge postage cost... but yes mine are 35W
CANDYMAN
Gold Member

Post by CANDYMAN »

The 55w kit is readily available from HID4U and it is a quality kit mind you for the price it should be :shock: http://www.hids4u.co.uk/H7-55w-Ultimate ... 7ULT3.html
Marc080
New

Post by Marc080 »

make sure you get the H7R bulb for a start... and for that price, kinda ridiculous, go onto ebay and pick up something for no more than £50 that does the exact same job.. "/ well thats what i did...
CANDYMAN
Gold Member

Re: Putting in Xenons and Fog lights - guide

Post by CANDYMAN »

Marc080 wrote:Just thought i would make a guide on fitting Xenons, as people do not realise how simple this task is, and spend the guts of £40 plus getting someone else to do something that should only take 15min a light!

Firstly, your dipped beam are H7 bulbs, if getting the HID kits I would recommend getting an H7R bulb, as the polos do not come with reflectors, so the basic H7 which i currently have fitted are extremely bright...
As for side lights, they are the standard W5W bulb, if buying them, buy a CAN-BUS set to ensure no warning lights... i bought theses and they work wonders http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/T10-501-W5W-C ... 062wt_1059

ok so fitting the HID kit... Image The kit I have.. 6000k

You need two warning light cancelers!

wire them up just like this.

removing the headlight... a simple task, remove both screws and simple force the headlight straight out, it may seem as if it isn't working at first, but trust me, use a bit of force and it will just pop right out...

this connector needs removed before the headlight can be completely taken out, do not force this off as you really don't want it breaking... there is a small locking mechanism on the side of it, which personally I used a small screw driver as a lever and it just came right off.

BAM one successfully removed headlight...

once removed, remove the plastic caps over the back, pull the side light bulb out and simple replace it, and put it back in... at this point I would just connect it back and start the car up to ensure the sidelight bulb is in the correct way... Doing the dipped beam, remove the other cap, twist the plastic case anti-clockwise to remove the bulb from the headlight, then simple pull the bulb out, it does come with metal around it...then you take the two cables for the Xenons and plug them into where the bulb was plugged in, and again connect up to ensure you have the cables in the correct way. There is no way of telling before hand, and nothing will blow if you have done it wrong, so no worries...

all wired and ready... the new Xenon bulb is rather hard to get in a kept straight, so i used numberplate tape, cut a circle and pushed the bulb through then forced it back into where it should go, sat perfectly for me...

simply put it all back together, and if you want use the numberplate tape to tidy away the cables under the bonnet... oh REMEMBER TO SEAL THE LIGHTS AGAIN! just put the rubber case back on, but because there is cable running though it, you could drill a few holes, or just do what i did and duck tape it closed... don't like using permanent methods in case i ever need to change back to original bulbs...

The sidelights in full swing...

Dipped beam...

both on... rather bright it may seem...

I have also changed my numberplate lights, cheep bulbs from china do work wonders here...

and interior, changed two lights to red, and everything else to bright white...

now onto the fog lights... this is possibly the easiest bulb to change on the car. It is an H8 bulb.

these are the bulbs i used for my full beam and fog lights... the H8 are 64 LED's or something stupid like that, they don't give a lot of light, but you do get noticed...
firstly you need to get the "hoop and pin" thingy out of the tool kit :) no idea what its proper name is, then simply pull the plastic cover off the light
unscrew the two screws, however the light is still held in place by two clips on the top, use a flat screw driver and force this up.
unconnect the bulb, and unscrew the current one and replace it...
now rebuild...

standard bulb - new bulb...

if you have any questions on lights, feel free to ask... hope this does help a few people!
Hiya Could i ask are those LED Bulbs Road legal? As all the ones i have looked at say for off road use only. Could you have put xenon bulbs in for the white light?.

P.S A great how to guide. :D
pololevy
New

Post by pololevy »

right i want to put xenons in my polo but im a bit dubious about putting them in, i have h4's on my polo, but see the cover over the current halogen bulb, will that not be too close to the new hid bulb as i thought the new hid bulbs where longer? dont want it melting or anything? and do they work ok with drl cause my dipped beams and sidelights come on automatically even though the light thing is at 0 was looking at buying these ones http://www.hids-direct.co.uk/hid-kits-3 ... p-455.html any help would be appreciated!!!
x.laura.x
Getting There!

Post by x.laura.x »

People have mentioned "good luck for when it comes to MOT" whats the issue with HID's being fitted??
Boyracer_2011
Silver Member
Drives: 1.2 Moda

Post by Boyracer_2011 »

I had the led sidelights and fogs in when I put her in for a service last Friday, and no one said anything.
benmkiv
Platinum Member

Putting in Xenons and Fog lights - guide

Post by benmkiv »

That's service not MOT new legislation and also older legislation stated that hid's needed to be fitted into a projector lamp not a reflector lamp, have self levelling system and washer system. Laws are getting even more strict.
CANDYMAN
Gold Member

Post by CANDYMAN »

Here you go not all bad

Lighting

Products on the lens or light source that obviously reduce the light's intensity or change its colour will become a reason for failure – applies to front/rear position lamps, registration plate lamps, stop lamps, rear fog and direction indicators,

Headlight requirements are updated to take account of the particular characteristics of High Intensity Discharge (HID) lamps.

HID headlights can cause dazzle if they are dirty or aimed too high so car manufacturers must fit headlamp cleaning and levelling systems. A car will fail if a mandatory headlamp cleaning or levelling system is missing, doesn't work or is obviously defective.

Vehicles fitted with aftermarket HID systems must also be fitted with properly working washer and levelling systems.

If a headlamp bulb is not seated correctly the resulting beam pattern will be indistinct and this will result in a test fail.

Taken from this website http://uk.autoblog.com/2012/01/04/chang ... you-ready/#

So if you have Headlight wash and leveling lights it's all good :D
AJ_7
Gold Member

Post by AJ_7 »

CANDYMAN wrote:So if you have Headlight wash and leveling lights it's all good :D
As far as i'm aware, 99% of people who have fitted a HID kit, don't have headlight washers or sufficient leveling sensors. So yeah, good luck when it comes to MOT :)
NeilMcConville
Gold Member

Post by NeilMcConville »

Thank god my MOT isn't for a lonnnggg time :D