Just ordered a Polo 1.2 TSI, now...need advice!

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
Shady Pioneer
New

Just ordered a Polo 1.2 TSI, now...need advice!

Post by Shady Pioneer »

Hi everyone, I'm new as you can probably tell but I come from a background of VWs. I am a regular on the GolfGTI forum but after a few years of owning Golfs and having to repair them I decided to take the plunge and get a brand new car.

So I currently have on order the following:

2012 VW Polo 1.2 TSI SEL
Flash Red
Bi-Xenon upgrade
All the usual trim features

This is my first brand new car and I intend to look after it, after all it's costing me enough haha. Sadly though I won't be getting it until the earliest of July so I've got plenty of time to save.

Now, I don't want to mod it as such, but want it to sit a little lower as standard they are quite high, I don't want to spend a lot either but want to keep comfort at the forefront of the list. What are my options? Having a quick browse I see people using springs on standard shocks. Is this a safe option? I only want it lower just to fill in the arch a bit, but other than that I'd be happy.

Next is the grill. I quite like the existing grill but the GTi one is nicer, I'd be happy to sport a TSI badge on the front though if one is available.

Rear numberplate lights too, given that the front will be all shiny and modern, I want the rear to match, what should I go for? Just bulbs?

And finally, how does the iPod connection system work? Is it like the Alpine full speed units or is it crap? Lol.

Many thanks for reading and I look forward to sticking around.
Last edited by Shady Pioneer on Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
George H
Bronze Member

Re: Just bought a Polo 1.2 TSI, now...need advice!

Post by George H »

iPod connection is either through the MDI in the glovebox and then controlling it through the radio unit, or you can plug it in to the aux in socket in front of the cupholder and control it through the iPod. I use the MDI and it's good enough. Can be a pain changing tracks though, I just make playlists.
Shady Pioneer
New

Post by Shady Pioneer »

I'm not too keen on changing through the iPod itself via aux so MDI is what I'm after. May have a play with it on Saturday at the dealership and see if it works decently enough.

What's the performance like on the Polo TSI? I drove a Golf with the same engine and thought it was quite good really, surely better in the lighter Polo?
jonnymagnum
Bronze Member

Post by jonnymagnum »

if you go for the Bi-Xenon upgrade,i think you get led number plate lights as well.
Shady Pioneer
New

Post by Shady Pioneer »

Ahh that's good news, hope it's true, one less thing to do.

Craigy, I can't reply to your PM as I've not been here long enough yet, I'll get back to you about it as soon as I can, or PM me your email and I'll contact you that way. Cheers fella.
Grey_Polo
Bronze Member

Post by Grey_Polo »

Regarding lowering:

As you are buying from new can't you order 'Sports suspension' in the UK? This is lowers the car 15mm all round - same as the GTI. This costs approx £130 extra on continental spec Polos. See http://imagepool.spruenglidruck.ch/page ... /10/zoomed
Lieto
Bronze Member

Post by Lieto »

I don't want to spend a lot either but want to keep comfort at the forefront of the list
Correct me if i am wrong but you dont lower your car if comfort is at the forefront of your list.
I mean general driving softness comfort rather then comfort on the sport track ofc.
Shady Pioneer
New

Post by Shady Pioneer »

In used to cheapy coilovers so you can imagine the ride I get from those. Just wanted something that gives a bit of a drop but remains relatively comfortable.
Shady Pioneer
New

Post by Shady Pioneer »

Oh I've now ordered the Boa Vista wheels to go with it now. Thought it was rude not to. I've asked them about adding GTI springs but awaiting a reply.

To everyone that has an SEL, what's the sound quality like on the standard stereo? Is it any good? I like my music you see.
BlackSEL
Getting There!

Post by BlackSEL »

Shady Pioneer wrote:Oh I've now ordered the Boa Vista wheels to go with it now. Thought it was rude not to. I've asked them about adding GTI springs but awaiting a reply.

To everyone that has an SEL, what's the sound quality like on the standard stereo? Is it any good? I like my music you see.

For me the sound quality is good, I had the rcd310 but that was annoying with the iPod, have the rcd 510 now and it's much easier to control the iPod. You're able to choose tracks rather than playing through a playlist.
Shady Pioneer
New

Post by Shady Pioneer »

The 510 comes with the SEL is that right? I did check last night but can't remember haha!
AJ_7
Gold Member

Post by AJ_7 »

Shady Pioneer wrote:The 510 comes with the SEL is that right? I did check last night but can't remember haha!
I have had a 1.2 TSI SEL for the best part of 12 months now and when I ordered mine the RCD510 was a factory option, not standard on the SEL models but this may have changed.

1.2 TSI SEL with the Boavista's and the RCD510 is an absolute beast of car 8)
BlackSEL
Getting There!

Post by BlackSEL »

AJ_7 wrote:
Shady Pioneer wrote:The 510 comes with the SEL is that right? I did check last night but can't remember haha!
I have had a 1.2 TSI SEL for the best part of 12 months now and when I ordered mine the RCD510 was a factory option, not standard on the SEL models but this may have changed.

1.2 TSI SEL with the Boavista's and the RCD510 is an absolute beast of car 8)
Mine was as AJ said, not standard, I got mine later, would definitely recommend :)
Craigy
Bronze Member

Post by Craigy »

i am selling a set of eibach springs brand new in the box if your interested

i sent you a pm but not sure if you got it bud
Shady Pioneer
New

Post by Shady Pioneer »

Craigy I can't send PMs at the moment. I'm interested just so you know but I'm waiting on VW to confirm if I can have GTi springs or not.

Regarding the 510, it appears it is now a factory standard on the Match and SEL so if you are all saying its good Im looking forward to it!

Btw, how come everyone's gotten white ones? Where are all the red ones? Lol