Updating to 2011.5 MY Climatronic/RCD310 units

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
Malcolm Scott
New
Drives: 2010 (60) 1.2 SEL TSI

Updating to 2011.5 MY Climatronic/RCD310 units

Post by Malcolm Scott »

Like many readers here and elsewhere on the internet, I was less than happy with the blue backlit LCD Climatronic and RCD310 display panels once the white on black variants were phased in.

I contacted CIT Carparts who told me that they were no longer selling the Climatronic panel due to unspecified fitting difficulties, and was unable to contact Campagnolo who appeared to have access to original Continental brand panels.

After much deliberation, I ordered the Climatronic panel from my local VW dealer. The correct part number for the white on black version is 6R0 907 044H and the cost (after a small discount) was £285.95.

An RCD310 with the correct white on black display was sourced from eBay for under £50.

Neither part required any modification to the vehicle and I am delighted with the improved appearance.

If any forum members would like any further information, I would be pleased to help.
myothercarsapolo
New

Re: Updating to 2011.5 MY Climatronic/RCD310 units

Post by myothercarsapolo »

hi mate
is the climatronic panel fully functional or purely looks only?
daydotz
Silver Member

Post by daydotz »

id love a white climatronic display is it hard to fit ?

do you have a website for cit parts i didn't find them via Google ?

thanks
Malcolm Scott
New

Post by Malcolm Scott »

Hi everyone!

Thank you all for your interest.

CIT used to be here: http://cit-carparts.com but they seem to have closed their web-site.

Personally, I would be reluctant to buy from them as it is/was unclear whether the units they were selling were to UK or Chinese spec.

You can also browse the comments on a German website here: http://www.motor-talk.de/forum/tauschen ... 17043.html

Myothercarsapolo: yes, the new panel is fully functional. It replaces the factory fitted blue-lit panel and controls all the functions in exactly the same manner. Even my g/f agrees that it looks much better!

daydotz: no, a very easy job but perhaps not one for those with a less-than-delicate touch. Basically you release the old panel by removing two T20 torq screws on the underside of the panel. The panel and surround may then be pulled forward and the two cables released. The top edge of the surround sits under the radio surround - it may be easier to remove the radio surround first.

The cables are then attached to the new panel before fitting the surround to the panel and offering the assembly up. The whole is then secured by the two T20 screws.

The new panel needs matching to the position of the air control flaps, but this is not difficult.

If anyone wants a more detailed report, I will try to oblige.
daydotz
Silver Member

Post by daydotz »

does the stereo surround have to come off as well i did notice the screws under mine did you find a guide on motor-talk ?

thanks
Malcolm Scott
New

Post by Malcolm Scott »

Daydotz, I did as much research as possible before I committed myself to buying my new panel - after all, it is a fairly big spend!

My radio surround was being removed anyway. I think the job is possible without removing the radio surround, but removal makes it easier.