Ride comfort difference between 15" and 16" alloys?

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
PumpkinPie
Getting There!

Ride comfort difference between 15" and 16" alloys?

Post by PumpkinPie »

Has anyone driven Polos with both sizes of wheels to see how they compare for comfort? I'm considering adding the 16" Navarre alloys to my car order but comfort is my main concern, I don't want a hard ride and rattling trim. I had a test drive in a Polo with the 15" alloys and was really impressed with the quietness and smoothness of the ride. I read an article in What Car where they said that the Polo with 16" alloys is quieter than a Fiesta with 15" alloys.

Cheers!
AJ_7
Gold Member

Re: Ride comfort difference between 15" and 16" alloys?

Post by AJ_7 »

I have 17" Boavista alloys and recently I had a 1.2 S courtesy car for 3 days whilst my car was in for a VW product recall check on the Turbo.

The courtesy car had the 15" steel wheels and the ride comfort was almost the same for me!
PumpkinPie
Getting There!

Post by PumpkinPie »

Thanks. Have you had any interior rattles on your car with those wheels? I always thought that 15" gave a smooth ride but I swapped from 16" to 15" on my Fiesta and it was still rock hard, I guess it just depends on the characteristics of the car.
AJ_7
Gold Member

Post by AJ_7 »

PumpkinPie wrote:Thanks. Have you had any interior rattles on your car with those wheels? I always thought that 15" gave a smooth ride but I swapped from 16" to 15" on my Fiesta and it was still rock hard, I guess it just depends on the characteristics of the car.
I haven't had any interior rattles at all, I do occasionally get a rattling fuel pipe in cold temperatures but that's an existing issue with Polo's that your dealer would sort out FOC :)
Deako
Bronze Member

Post by Deako »

Polo has to have 17". 15" or 16" look silly.
Lieto
Bronze Member

Post by Lieto »

i have 14 and i gotto say it looks quite Ok xD
I guess all of you guys are from UK so you have decent roads there. I got a friend in kiev who got golf gti with 17 wheels.. well he is "fixing" those 2-3 times a year (not sure whats the right english word for when you fix disks)