Polo 1.2 TDi Match (First car!)

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
mashmarriner
Gold Member

Re: First car!

Post by mashmarriner »

mate have a look at my build thread, (black polo moda build thread) am only 19 and this polo is my second car, just give you a few ideas on what to do.

(not a spoilt brat either, as i pay everything my self, as have a pretty well payed job)

but i wouldn't of recomented you to get a spanking new car as first car as more then likely will crash, no offence.

i have a 02 plate ford ka and crashed it, nwt big just bumped here and there on curbs and bollards as such, and destroyed the body work as was still not used to driving.

but any way am 19 and have almost 2 years no clams under my belt,
on my first car my insurance was 2900 on a 1500 car :S, and now on a 13k car it is 1500, now how does that work.

but you can mod ya car, nwt big just get a nice set of alloys and that will no affect your insurance one bit, as long as you tell them you have them on, but that only if you already have alloys standard.

debageing and dewiping does not affect your insurance and make ya car look that little bit nicer, as well as HID and LED lights, just a few little things that make a big difference, and don't affect the insurance.

also have a look at pressed plates mate

hope this gives you a few ideas :D
Match
Bronze Member

First car!

Post by Match »

mashmarriner wrote:mate have a look at my build thread, (black polo moda build thread) am only 19 and this polo is my second car, just give you a few ideas on what to do.

(not a spoilt brat either, as i pay everything my self, as have a pretty well payed job)

but i wouldn't of recomented you to get a spanking new car as first car as more then likely will crash, no offence.

i have a 02 plate ford ka and crashed it, nwt big just bumped here and there on curbs and bollards as such, and destroyed the body work as was still not used to driving.

but any way am 19 and have almost 2 years no clams under my belt,
on my first car my insurance was 2900 on a 1500 car :S, and now on a 13k car it is 1500, now how does that work.

but you can mod ya car, nwt big just get a nice set of alloys and that will no affect your insurance one bit, as long as you tell them you have them on, but that only if you already have alloys standard.

debageing and dewiping does not affect your insurance and make ya car look that little bit nicer, as well as HID and LED lights, just a few little things that make a big difference, and don't affect the insurance.

also have a look at pressed plates mate

hope this gives you a few ideas :D
I'll make sure to check out your thread! I didn't really want a new car, I would have rather had a 2005 polo that I wouldn't have to be as careful with but at the end of the day it was a joint decision.

I really like pressed plates and I'll definitely look into insurance costs with added alloys. Thanks for the ideas!
blazeguarder
Gold Member

Post by blazeguarder »

Welcome mate, great choice of first car.

Parent-friendly mods I'd suggest are things like silver indicators, upgraded halogen bulbs (for the 'safety' advantage :wink: ), ipod connection, debadge, small stuff like that. Maybe a bluetooth kit as well. Makes it your own while keeping them onside lol. Basing this on the only things from my car that my mum has ever wanted as well, but that said she's a bit of a petrolhead so maybe not the best assumption!

Oh, and agreed with keeping it clean and shiny. Detailing's an expensive habit though, but looks great afterwards! And don't worry about crashing it, plenty of people get cars and manage to not hit anything with them. You'll probably get told this in driving lessons but dip your passenger mirror as far down as possible when parking so you can see where the kerb is. Helps you avoid scraping the alloys.
Match
Bronze Member

Post by Match »

blazeguarder wrote:Welcome mate, great choice of first car.

Parent-friendly mods I'd suggest are things like silver indicators, upgraded halogen bulbs (for the 'safety' advantage :wink: ), ipod connection, debadge, small stuff like that. Maybe a bluetooth kit as well. Makes it your own while keeping them onside lol. Basing this on the only things from my car that my mum has ever wanted as well, but that said she's a bit of a petrolhead so maybe not the best assumption!

Oh, and agreed with keeping it clean and shiny. Detailing's an expensive habit though, but looks great afterwards! And don't worry about crashing it, plenty of people get cars and manage to not hit anything with them. You'll probably get told this in driving lessons but dip your passenger mirror as far down as possible when parking so you can see where the kerb is. Helps you avoid scraping the alloys.
Thanks for the parking tip! :) regarding bluetooth and iPod connection - the Match trim comes with them both with steering wheel controls too :shock: indicator and halogen bulbs will be top of my list when I get some money!
NeilMcConville
Gold Member

Post by NeilMcConville »

I'm 17 too, 18 next Monday though :) But yeah, pop on a nice set of 17" wheels, stick in some lowering springs, get a HID kit and a few LEDs for the numberplate lights and sidelights and you'll be flying! 8) Insurance is a c**t but just tell them about the wheels, wont affect the price as long as they are less than 2" bigger than the standard rims which are probably 15s? Happy Poloing! :)
Lieto
Bronze Member

Post by Lieto »

Check this thread when you are able to do more radical stuff — http://www.uk-polos.net/view ... 56&t=54626
Kinda like what this guy is doing and some modes cost pretty much no money
Match
Bronze Member

First car!

Post by Match »

NeilMcConville wrote:I'm 17 too, 18 next Monday though :) But yeah, pop on a nice set of 17" wheels, stick in some lowering springs, get a HID kit and a few LEDs for the numberplate lights and sidelights and you'll be flying! 8) Insurance is a **** but just tell them about the wheels, wont affect the price as long as they are less than 2" bigger than the standard rims which are probably 15s? Happy Poloing! :)
Will definitely look into it when I have the money :D I had no idea that insurance shouldn't be affected as long as they aren't bigger than 2" more!
Match
Bronze Member

Post by Match »

Lieto wrote:Check this thread when you are able to do more radical stuff — http://www.uk-polos.net/view ... 56&t=54626
Kinda like what this guy is doing and some modes cost pretty much no money
I love the white steelies! Thanks for the link :)
Match
Bronze Member

Post by Match »

quick update: took the annoying dealership text off the back window and gave it a good clean after being used all week! only 1 week until I can start learning :D

also attempted a quick photoshop to see what respraying the stock alloys would look like matte black:-

I actually really like it, and as I have next to no money to spend I'd say its a winner! would like to see gloss black too but I can't do gloss :roll:
jamesagordon
Bronze Member

Post by jamesagordon »

here's my stock in gloss black to give you an idea :)

562443_406383129394885_259263720773494_1240948_947872983_n by James A Gordon, on Flickr
mashmarriner
Gold Member

Post by mashmarriner »

tbh a dont see why you would want to pay to get the stock wheels done, you can buy a 2nd hand set of nice OEM style 17" for the same price if you look properly mate, no p*** take intended for anyone that has had it done, its just the standard wheels don't do it for me
jamesagordon
Bronze Member

Post by jamesagordon »

mashmarriner wrote:tbh a dont see why you would want to pay to get the stock wheels done, you can buy a 2nd hand set of nice OEM style 17" for the same price if you look properly mate, no p*** take intended for anyone that has had it done, its just the standard wheels don't do it for me
mine came like it so no offence taken ;)
mashmarriner
Gold Member

Post by mashmarriner »

jamesagordon wrote:
mashmarriner wrote:tbh a dont see why you would want to pay to get the stock wheels done, you can buy a 2nd hand set of nice OEM style 17" for the same price if you look properly mate, no p*** take intended for anyone that has had it done, its just the standard wheels don't do it for me
mine came like it so no offence taken ;)
All good then haha :) where u get the paint for ya fogs mate
jamesagordon
Bronze Member

Post by jamesagordon »

it's just window tint film, mate had some left over so he put it on for me :)
Match
Bronze Member

Post by Match »

jamesagordon wrote:here's my stock in gloss black to give you an idea :)

562443_406383129394885_259263720773494_1240948_947872983_n by James A Gordon, on Flickr
thanks! I really like the look of your polo.
yeah but with tyres I thought that they would be £500+? and compared with £100ish for a respray it's out of the question for me. thanks though!