TERRIBLE VOLKSWAGEN UK SERVICE! AVOID.

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Re: TERRIBLE VOLKSWAGEN UK SERVICE! AVOID.

Post by RUM4MO »

Well for what it is worth, a friend at work has a Leon with that engine in it and he had problems, seems like due to a body design/build issue, water was getting onto the coil pack and causing corrosion. You might have a mild form of this, is so clean out all that green junk and maybe apply some silicon grease to the very ends of all these leads to keep moisture out.
chrispy.
Gold Member

Post by chrispy. »

You are bang on!
Found out yesterday it was a dodgy lead causing the problem.. Took them off to replace and 2 of the sockets on the coil pack had turquoise powder in them...
Clean them out, replaced cables and car now works like a dream.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
daveb73
Getting There!
Drives: Polo GTI 6R 5 Door

Post by daveb73 »

Yep, the turquoise powder doesn't come as standard ;)
IZVVC
Bronze Member

Post by IZVVC »

chrispy. wrote:You are bang on!
Found out yesterday it was a dodgy lead causing the problem.. Took them off to replace and 2 of the sockets on the coil pack had turquoise powder in them...
Clean them out, replaced cables and car now works like a dream.

This may sound very stupid but could you show me how to do this too, as I have no knowledge of coil packs, but my car keeps going into limp mode, so trying to do trial and error to see what will fix it.

It would very greatly appreciated
chrispy.
Gold Member

Post by chrispy. »

Yeah course!! Ill take some pictures tonight after work.

Do you know anyone who would have VCDS?
If you do, get them round as that will help pin point what is causing the limp mode.

IZVVC
Bronze Member

Post by IZVVC »

Yeah I've got vcds but I do understand the error codes, I will post them here later today, but yeah if you could post some pictures that would be great
AJ_7
Gold Member

Post by AJ_7 »

I took my 1.2 TSI Polo into a main VW dealer for a routine service at 70k miles. They called me to tell me the tensioner needed replacing and so did the timing chain. The cost of this was around £1500 inclusive of labour, however, VW UK were willing to pay 95% of the cost, so I had the tensioner and the timing chain replaced for a sum of around £75.

The fault caused the timing chain to be stretched and they told me if it wasn't replaced, there is a good chance this will cause a catastrophic failure at some point.
lxm
Bronze Member

Post by lxm »

Thanks for sticking the hot poker in my side...... :o

I have pmed you.
lxm
Bronze Member

Post by lxm »

Hello guys.

I have had 3 emails in the last month regarding this thread from people saying they have experienced timing chain faliure also. One guy in the uk had a 1.2 n/a (70ps) engine go at 55k and the other two both had 1.2 TSI engines go boom at 60 and 77k, they were from Germany and the Czech Republic