External return spring for rear callipers

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

External return spring for rear callipers

Post by RUM4MO »

As per subject line, has anyone found the need to fit these springs that "we" found improved things greatly on the 9N etc platform of cars, or have the callipers been modified internally to provide, over a long service period, enough "return" effort to keep the handbrake levers working okay?
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Re: EXTERNAL RETURN SPRING FOR REAR CALLIPERS

Post by alexperkins »

Curious on this myself

Could i Kindly ask that you dont put your topic subjects in full capital letters please :)
George417
New
Drives: 6c Polo Gti

Re: External return spring for rear callipers

Post by George417 »

I've done this to mine. I had a spare set lying around so I fitted them on the car. I had a fabia vrs before and it was a common problem with them. So I did it as a precaution.
gti-joe
Silver Member
Drives: 6c Polo Blue GT

Post by gti-joe »

Same as above. Not sure if they have improved them internally but they look the same externally hence why I chucked a spare set I had on just to be on the safe side.
RUM4MO

Re: External return spring for rear calliper

Post by RUM4MO »

alexperkins wrote:Curious on this myself

Could i Kindly ask that you dont put your topic subjects in full capital letters please :)
Ah, only just read this one, so another loud subject line, never thought/noticed that I was the only one that did that, unique maybe?

Unfortunately I let the car go with the springs still on it, I'd doubt if I could have driven the car down to the dealer without the O/S disc getting a bit too hot if I had removed the springs, this side started giving problems from when the car was about 9 months old, but I found my own way out of trouble to avoid it getting reworked by VW dealer as it was an import and they always claimed it was built using different parts - idiots! I do have a set of the alternative springs, though I preferred the Sharan ones having given the Jetta(?) a trial. That car was perfect for trading in, I would have spent more than it was worth and would get for it selling privately if I had not traded it in.
iichel
Drives: Polo 6R 2.0 TDI, Passat B8 2.0 TSI

Post by iichel »

can someone post some background info on the extra return springs? i suspect one of my calipers on being 'sticky' since the discs on my car always get curved on one corner.

like a part number or a car where they are usually mounted on would be great. is it also available for front calipers?
RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

iichel, back ground to this is:- early in Fabia and then Polo 9N and then Ibiza 6L service life, the owners became aware of the handbrake levers not returning fully to their stops on the rear callipers. This is a rear disc brake issue with the above cars, and maybe Audi A2 and now A1, all these cars have a version of rear calliper that includes handbrake, that does not have any means of "helping" the cable etc return to the "off" position. All larger and so longer cars have an external return spring fitted as there will be more friction in the handbrake cables than with a short small car. The only return "action" seems to be within the callipers of these shorter and smaller cars, so someone on http://www.briskoda.net car site took this problem up and worked out which available return spring works best. At round about that time I also was having trouble with wife's late 2002 9N Polo, and as I had an old copy of ETOS (VAG parts listing) and I had a B5 Passat 4Motion, I just bought a pair of Passat return springs - they were far too big and far too strong! After checking up on VW cars in car parks (?!) I found that Golf and Jetta had return springs fitted so I bought them, initially I found that while they worked very well and stopped the rear RHS calliper lever sticking, they made the handbrake a bit heavier (more force needed), so I kept looking, but by that time the original poster on Briskoda had found that VW Sharan return springs were perfect, I bought them and I agreed with him. Ford Galaxy and Seat Alhambra springs will be the same part, all these donor models quoted will be the first version of these MPVs.

Edit:- the latest cars still have holes and slots on the callipers for mounting external return springs - but none are fitted, instructions can be found on the Briskoda website with some suggested part numbers, I will again try to source VW Sharan Mk1 springs.

Part Numbers:- For 1998 model VW Sharan 7M0 615 295 for LHS and 7M0 615 296 for RHS - I've just checked "partscat" .
RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

Update, the current part numbers for these springs are 7H0 615 296 for RH side, and 7H0 615 295A for LH side £2.48 + vat each.

I've picked and fitted them to wife's Polo yesterday, fitted as before, using the cranking section to clear the nut on the calliper.

So that is three of the "improvement" tasks taken care of, ie fitting a battery +VE terminal cover, fitting the probably missing manual locking grommets to the front doors (although fitted to rear doors), and fitting external handbrake lever return springs to the rear callipers.

Outstanding "improvements" are finding a warning triangle that fits the provided storage slot in the boot, and allows free use of the variable load platform (don't buy the £18 VW kit because it does not work for that), correct warning triangle seems to cost £40???, take delivery of sunglasses holder that are hopefully on their way from China.
RUM4MO

Re: EXTERNAL RETURN SPRING FOR REAR CALLIPERS

Post by RUM4MO »

alexperkins wrote:Curious on this myself
Thinking back about this, I seem to remember that the handbrake "weight" on the 6R C1 Polo 1.2TSI 110PS is a bit "more" than wife's old 2002 Polo 1.4 16V 75PS SE - this could be due to TRW increasing the rating of the internal return springs being fitted to the callipers - though I will still leave the Sharan/Galaxy external return springs fitted!
Ricmondo
Gold Member
Drives: Polo Blue GT

Post by Ricmondo »

I searched Amazon using VW Polo Warning Triangle. There is a cheap but sturdy triangle in a red plastic box. Buy it and use the box to store spaghetti, unboxed the triangle will fit into the bootclips and will not interfere with the moveable floor. Very pleased with mine but hoping not to use it.
RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

Ricmondo, sorry that I did not post about what I did next on the warning triangle front, I had a look on the "carparts" website and found that the official item for Polo is the "8KO" variant, so I looked up ebay for that and found that a VW breaker was selling them, so I've paid for one, so for the benefit of anyone thinking about buying one, I'll report back on if/how well it fits the recess and clips. (WARNING TRIANGLE 8K0860251)

Edit:- that is what I should have done in the first place, what an idiot I was trusting VW dealer's offering would fit!
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Post by alexperkins »

8K0 is actually an Audi A4 designation :)
RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

alexperkins wrote:8K0 is actually an Audi A4 designation :)
Yup, but that is what "carparts" lists for this version of Polo. Time will tell if it fits! (I'll be a bit grumpy if it does not complete with its plastic case)
RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

Well I've received my VAG warning triangle, 8K0 860 251 and it fits the storage area in the 6R 6C1 Polo perfectly, so that is good! I've just noticed that the warning triangle on my Audi S4 is "8TO" - same size as the "8K0" version but it has reflector strips on the case to act as car reflectors when the boot lid is opened.

Also picked up the Audi TT jacking point protectors and fitted them, still waiting for the chrome end for the keys and the sunglasses holder.
_Fredrik_
New
Drives: Polo 6r

Post by _Fredrik_ »

Hello

Looking for a picture of the spring when it is mounted. have problems with the right rear handbrake and I have discs on my 6R, Anyone can help?