How do I disable DRL

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Re: How do I disable DRL

Post by RUM4MO »

I'm thinking that at the time that car was built, it was not a legal requirement in UK to have DRLs but they can be useful.

As said by many owners of 6R cars with the "half baked VW fit them anyway" at this point in time, I think that I would get a bit annoyed by that set up and do almost anything to change things so that they worked in the way that DRLs on the 6C etc work - that will take a bit of wiring and changing of parts though, but maybe a useful project for a young driver?
Bobupndown
New
Drives: None

Post by Bobupndown »

The 'young driver' is not mechanically minded in the slightest and doesn't do car mods, to be fair the always on dip beam lights probably do not bother him one bit, it's me who had an issue with them as soon as we picked it up and he was driving home behind me I was wondering why he had put his headlights on?
I'd be inclined to disable the entire headlight / sidelight drl set up by disabling the relevant pin on the light switch and perhaps put additional led bulbs as drls in the fog lights as suggested above. Anyone got a link to a kit that will allow them to switch off, or dim when sidelights or headlights switched on on? Cheers.
(He's absolutely loving his polo BTW, the 105hp 1.2 tsi is like night and day difference from his 60hp Up).
SimonPoole
Getting There!

Post by SimonPoole »

If you wire them to the TRL pin on the headlight switch they will stay on with sidelights and switch off when the headlights are switched on.

I am like you and my sone wasn't bothered by the headlights being on all the time, probably wouldn't notice. My wife keeps asking me who I bought the Polo for, me, or my son...
Bobupndown
New

Post by Bobupndown »

Sounds familiar, I'm the car nut out washing and polishing my son's car while he's in the house!

Do I not need to be disconnecting the tfl pin to turn off the dip beam and sidelight drls? Or have you cut that wire after the switch plug connector?
SimonPoole
Getting There!

Post by SimonPoole »

Bobupndown wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:31 pm Sounds familiar, I'm the car nut out washing and polishing my son's car while he's in the house!

Do I not need to be disconnecting the tfl pin to turn off the dip beam and sidelight drls? Or have you cut that wire after the switch plug connector?
Sounds very familiar. I was outside washing and waxing the Polo as I thought my son was studying for his A levels upstairs. He came down and went out for a walk whilst I was still hard at work on his car :shock:

I removed the connector from the plug on the back of the headlight switch and taped it up out of the way (so that I could return the car to standard if needed), then fitted a replacement cable with the correct connector back into the plug as I already had one in my tool box. You could just snip the wire and solder onto the section coming out of the plug and then extend it to energise the relay for the DRLs.

I've also added one of those Chinese auto headlight switches to the car too. I know plenty of owners on here have done it the correct way with the OEM sensors and wiring, but that seems like too much of a faff to me. A plug and play switch with a little sensor that sticks on the dash was the easier option.
Bobupndown
New

Post by Bobupndown »

Not read up on auto light switch mod yet! I take it that additional pins to replace those in the plug are readily available? Any idea of the name of them - or a link?
SimonPoole
Getting There!

Post by SimonPoole »

Bobupndown wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:03 pm Not read up on auto light switch mod yet! I take it that additional pins to replace those in the plug are readily available? Any idea of the name of them - or a link?
They are just repair wires, available from the VW Dealers. I don't have the part number I'm afraid as I already had them from a previous project from a few years ago.