LED-DRL Foglight replacement issues. Help appriciated

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
wrecksigge
Getting There!
Drives: 2012 Polo GTI

LED-DRL Foglight replacement issues. Help appriciated

Post by wrecksigge »

Hey!

So i bought a r20 frontbumper kit like this to upgrade the front end of my 2012 GTI

http://www.ebay.com/itm/112306530606?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT

But i cant get the new LED DRL:s to work. I thought it was going to be a straight swap from the original foglights since the connector to the new ones is the same. But when i turn on the front foglights nothing happens. Not even any error codes in the dash. I have Xenon with DRL:s already, but that cant matter does it?

Where do i begin? Do you guys think i need to add resistors? Can i somehow measure to see how many watts the new LED:s generates? Or do i need to do some coding in VCDS? I really appriciate any input!

alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Re: LED-DRL Foglight replacement issues. Help appriciated

Post by alexperkins »

If those DRLs are connected to the fog wiring, youll need to make VCDS changes to use the fog lights for DRLs
wrecksigge
Getting There!

Post by wrecksigge »

alexperkins wrote:If those DRLs are connected to the fog wiring, youll need to make VCDS changes to use the fog lights for DRLs
Yes they are connected to the fog wiring. What changes do i have to make? Can i still make them work as foglights, meaning i can turn them on and off by using the foglight switch?

I already have DRL:s in my xenon headlights, will this be a problem?
EdwardBall
New
Drives: Lowered Polo 6R

Post by EdwardBall »

Hi there, I did this upgrade very recently, and as such hope I will be of some help. For me, I found that the DRLs came wired backwards, and speaking to the manufacturers it appears they all do. In the DRL connector, you'll see it's only able to be plugged in one way (the wrong way) due to a small plastic strip on one side which aligns with the fog wiring. I snapped this strip off and smoothed it down so that it would fit into the connectors either way. Then I used some self-amalgamating tape to bond the two connectors together, seeing as there's no longer the strip for added security. Before doing this, go to your car and turn the fogs on, and try switching the connector around. You should be able to force it in just enough to make the DRLs flash, to confirm they are wired incorrectly. If you're interesting in adapting your light switch to have proper DRL function I'd be happy to help with that. My car originally had fogs, and I used the existing wiring through the BCM to turn them into DRLs.
ciclo
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 6R'13/G7.5'19

Post by ciclo »

wrecksigge wrote:
alexperkins wrote:If those DRLs are connected to the fog wiring, youll need to make VCDS changes to use the fog lights for DRLs
Yes they are connected to the fog wiring. What changes do i have to make? Can i still make them work as foglights, meaning i can turn them on and off by using the foglight switch?

I already have DRL:s in my xenon headlights, will this be a problem?
With Bixenon headlights from factory the fog lights never can work as DRL's because the static cornering lights are integrated in the Bixenon headlamps.
In this case the fog lights do not go through the BCM.

It is weird that they do not work as fog lights if the connectors are properly connected. I mean the polarity. :?:
benzinkopf
Gold Member
Drives: 1.2TSI 105HP DSG7

Post by benzinkopf »

Yes. Agreed with ciclo. Im sure all you need is to switch the polarity. LED need the exact (+) and (-).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
wrecksigge
Getting There!

Post by wrecksigge »

EdwardBall wrote:Hi there, I did this upgrade very recently, and as such hope I will be of some help. For me, I found that the DRLs came wired backwards, and speaking to the manufacturers it appears they all do. In the DRL connector, you'll see it's only able to be plugged in one way (the wrong way) due to a small plastic strip on one side which aligns with the fog wiring. I snapped this strip off and smoothed it down so that it would fit into the connectors either way. Then I used some self-amalgamating tape to bond the two connectors together, seeing as there's no longer the strip for added security. Before doing this, go to your car and turn the fogs on, and try switching the connector around. You should be able to force it in just enough to make the DRLs flash, to confirm they are wired incorrectly. If you're interesting in adapting your light switch to have proper DRL function I'd be happy to help with that. My car originally had fogs, and I used the existing wiring through the BCM to turn them into DRLs.
Wow, if this is the case, you are a lifesaver! I would never have thought of trying to change the polarity since that plastic strip you are talking about prevents you from doing so.
Hopefully they arent damaged now since the polarity was wrong? Right now im just glad if i can make them light up. :)
ciclo wrote: With Bixenon headlights from factory the fog lights never can work as DRL's because the static cornering lights are integrated in the Bixenon headlamps.
In this case the fog lights do not go through the BCM.

It is weird that they do not work as fog lights if the connectors are properly connected. I mean the polarity. :?:
Thanks for your reply Ciclo! Hopefully EdwardBall has the answer for me. I will try to change the polarity and see what happens!
wrecksigge
Getting There!

Post by wrecksigge »

benzinkopf wrote:Yes. Agreed with ciclo. Im sure all you need is to switch the polarity. LED need the exact (+) and (-).

Yes hopefully this is the case! I did not think of this because the connector was made to only fit into the foglight connector in one way. I will try to modify it and change the polarity!
benzinkopf
Gold Member
Drives: 1.2TSI 105HP DSG7

Post by benzinkopf »

I think u dont have to mess with the connector. Im sure u can take the wires and terminal out and change the polarity instead of damaging the connector

wrecksigge
Getting There!

Post by wrecksigge »

Smart, i will try that first! Thanks!
wrecksigge
Getting There!

Post by wrecksigge »

It's alive! :D

Managed to switch polaritys in the connector without modifying it!

haflidij
Silver Member
Drives: Polo 1.4 2013 6R

Post by haflidij »

wrecksigge wrote:It's alive! :D

Yeah! thats great man , i have the exact same bumper but i havent put it on yet, so its good to know if i have this problem with mine i just have to switch the wires on the light itself :)
wrecksigge
Getting There!

Post by wrecksigge »

Nice! It's an awesome upgrade! The black wire from the LED is supposed to connect to the brown wire on the fog light connector. This was the other way around from the start. So maybe check that out from the beginning :D
haflidij
Silver Member
Drives: Polo 1.4 2013 6R

Post by haflidij »

Hey guys since my polo doesnt have fogs originally where could i but the wires needed to power the fogs in the same bumper this guy has ?.
ciclo
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 6R'13/G7.5'19

Post by ciclo »

benzinkopf wrote:I think u dont have to mess with the connector. Im sure u can take the wires and terminal out and change the polarity instead of damaging the connector

My dear friend, you have many points in your favor to win a star. :wink: (of those that shine in the sky)
or maybe small wings :lol:

wrecksigge wrote:It's alive! :D

[img].[/img]
Perfect!, it looks very nice. 8)

Recommendation, install automatic lights if you don't already have them. Easy, cheap, and great mod.
haflidij wrote:Hey guys since my polo doesnt have fogs originally where could i but the wires needed to power the fogs in the same bumper this guy has ?.
First, I guess you'll have to be able to remove the light switch. viewtopic.php?f=56&t=69672#p519629 :lol:

(If you have already been able to remove it, tell us your battle :) with the light switch on that topic)

Recommendation, you must follow this thread. (BCM non Max)