Auto headlight retrofit. VW Transporter. T5 (2010-2015)

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
TheKeymeister
New
Drives: Caravelle T5.1

Re: Auto headlight retrofit. VW Transporter. T5 (2010-2015)

Post by TheKeymeister »

ciclo wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 9:53 am Yes, at the moment only point 1.
The two wires that supply the +30 signal (direct from battery) to T73a/63 and T73b/68 BCM pins.

Nice picture. 8)
ciclo, just wanted to say, you da man! I finally found time to do this today after buying a big bag of terminals, and finally the interior lights are working correctly in the Transporter. It didn't even need a reset of the error codes or any alternative coding, just cycling the ignition was fine. I can now move on to the Caravelle...

I plan on doing it slightly differently to the loom you previously produced - as I have the terminals, I plan on running the two new feeds from the battery fuse box, via the internal fuse box rather than with separate fuse holders. There are a lot of spare ways there and it will allow for easier access, and electrically it will be identical :D
pettman
New
Drives: N/A

Post by pettman »

Running it to the main FB is fine, but youll be running 2 wires from the ebox past the BCM to the main FB, then running wires back the way you came to wire into the FB, where the other way you run it to the back of the BCM and then directly into it.
TheKeymeister
New

Post by TheKeymeister »

So, ladies and gents, a big update from me. Plans have changed a little bit with the Caravelle...

I had already bought a new BCM for this job (7H0 937 089F) with a view to just having auto headlights and stopping at that. Then, I had a minor incident involving a flat tyre and found other posts about direct TPMS, and decided I definitely needed that. Then found out about high beam assist too. So, another BCM from a T6 was purchased (7E0 937 090B)

Yesterday and today I've been carrying out a lot of wiring, and I did it in stages to allow troubleshooting at each step. I wired up a towing electrics kit (7F0 055 204B) and while I was in the area, added the wiring for the direct TPMS and made off the plug (I cannot yet find the correct receiver module, lots of 5Q0, no 3AA versions), and added the OEM second battery relay (2D0 951 253B) which receives a signal from BCM (via T73a/3) to couple the two batteries - all working OK.

I then carried out the conversion to BCM Max using the details in this thread, including re-wiring the lighting to work with the 10-pin switch. I did not run two feeds back to fuse SA2 in the ebox, instead I re-purposed some existing feeds, SC23 (formerly feed to the aux heater controls), and SB33 (formerly the feed to the radio) - both of these come from fuse SA2 and enter the fusebox as 2.5mm like the OEM installation. The things that were previously fed from SC23 and SB33 were then re-fed from my leisure battery so I don't have to worry about draining the main battery. Saved me some time running cables through the engine bay - and brought some benefits, everyone's a winner! Tested with the 7H0 937 089F BCM, and all working fine, not completely sure on the auto lights/dimmer function until it gets dark.

After this, I set to with swapping things over to allow the 7E0 BCM to be installed, a new pair of CAN wires were installed to the cluster, and the (new) dimmer wire installed in T73b/4. All tested and working fine again.

For some reason I didn't anticipate further lighting wiring being required for high beam assist, so this was a bit of a surprise yesterday afternoon. I am still using my old stalks (T5.1 ones without return spring) but thought I would do the wiring while I had the dash apart and see if it worked, loosely following ciclo's drawing here cross referenced with ElsaWin drawings for the T5.1 - alas it did not completely work :( The high beams were already independently fused, at SB6 for left, and SB28 for right, so I fed those from T73a/1 and T73b/1 respectively per ciclo's drawing, and carried out everything else pretty much per the drawing. I am currently able to 'flash' the high beams by pulling the stalk forward, but nothing happens when pushing it backwards with headlights on. Also, on 'Output Tests', when trying to activate 'High beam left' and 'High beam right', nothing happens and it states it is 'Inactive'. I could understand the stalk not working properly as it's not the right one for the job (yet), but I am struggling to get my head around why the output tests do not work. Apologies if this is the wrong place to post this query, I thought it may be relevant as it's related to BCM controlling lighting functions.

A current autoscan can be found here, some of the errors are caused by the dashboard/passenger seat still being somewhat disassembled! Many of the coding alterations were based on guesswork as well.

A previous autoscan from before any wiring modifications were made (but dashboard/seat were disassembled) here

Thanks in advance for any assistance/advice...

Edit to add: I have been outside now its dark, Auto lights function is working OK but no interior illumination (ie cluster backlight/buttons etc) is working when the switch is set to 'Auto' - works fine on other positions, tried another switch with same result. Also the dimmer does not have any effect either. It also seems the fog lights are not working any more either, both front and back :( I forgot to check this earlier on today. I will try and verify my wiring connections tomorrow hopefully.
ciclo
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 6R'13/G7.5'19

Post by ciclo »

TheKeymeister wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:09 pm So, ladies and gents, a big update from me. Plans have changed a little bit with the Caravelle...

... I will try and verify my wiring connections tomorrow hopefully.
Try...
New BCM coding (7E0)
A0B2793A0E61241393288E906EEB8ED4F09061FF60842040320003020800

:?:

---
3AA907273F
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Neu-Original ... SwXetZWVFI
Shadow109
Bronze Member
Drives: Vw t5.1 2013

Post by Shadow109 »

ciclo wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 8:15 am
TheKeymeister wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:09 pm So, ladies and gents, a big update from me. Plans have changed a little bit with the Caravelle...

Try...
New BCM coding (7E0)

---
3AA907273F
Ciclo, the One I have ordered was : 3AA907275F
Is it ok ?
TheKeymeister
New

Post by TheKeymeister »

Try...
New BCM coding (7E0)

---
3AA907273F
ciclo, thanks for the help, this seems to have made the dimmer functional from what I can see in the daylight, I'll see what happens with the Auto function when it gets dark later. High beams still do not work by pushing the stalk forwards or by the output test (shows as 'Inactive' for both sides) but it is still working on the flashing function (pulling stalk forward) but usually only on the second attempt - I'm assuming this is due to incorrect stalks.

Neither front or rear fog lights are working at the moment. I looked at my trailer module's measuring blocks, and it is not receiving a signal for rear fog lights, but it is for all other lights (no indication for front fog lights though obviously :lol: ). As such I believe it's probably likely to be a wiring problem, I haven't yet had time to verify this. I did have a small amount of trouble pushing some of the smallest type pins into the T73a and T73b connectors, perhaps I was unsuccessful. Do you happen to know whether any measuring blocks are available in the BCM for the inputs relating to lighting? I had a scroll through but couldn't find any.

Thanks for the link on the TPMS module, my eBay saved search had missed it due to coming from an international seller - it looks like the seller is kitted up for the reflashing of 5Q0 to 3AA... From what I've heard it's fairly simple with VCP or ODIS-E (which I will need one of anyway for the tyre sizes information) and the correct flash file, but I'm assuming if I plugged a 5Q0 into my Caravelle it wouldn't recognise it to reflash it as it wants a 3AA.

I also successfully removed address 61 using your instructions here :D

Edit: I can confirm the illumination of cluster/switches is working on Auto function now, and the dimmer is working perfectly 8)
ciclo

Post by ciclo »

Check BCM adaption channels:

53, 0 to 1 ... HBA enabled
54, 0 to 1 ... Enable the 7E0 stalks functions --> stalks with return spring (1x). ,,,,(even if you have the wrong stalks, without 1x, you can emulate the 1x with your hands :))...

Please tell us the exact reference of AUTO light switch you are using, or a link where it was purchased ...
I have never checked the measuring blocks for lighting on these BCMs. :)

I don't think you have a problem flashing the TPMS 5Q0 unit, I think I remember I did it a couple of times.

---
Please🙏 don't ask me for the flash file for the TPMS unit, that eBay seller kindly answered several questions that I asked him some time ago and I will not be the one who hurts his sales, I think it is very reasonable for everyone to understand.
Thanks a lot.

I think someone here got mad at me because I didn't give them the file. :|

---

I just saw your edit.👍
ciclo

Post by ciclo »

Shadow109 wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 1:31 pm

Try...
New BCM coding (7E0)

---
3AA907273F
Ciclo, the One I have ordered was : 3AA907275F
Is it ok ?
I can't tell you with absolute certainty, compatibility is clearly marked with the instrument cluster SW.
In the early days of retrofitting Direct TPMS on PQ25 the 3AA unit was tested with SW IC of a T5, but other CAN lines other than the powertrain were used.
I believe that the 3AA unit may be correct for the SW of your IC using the powertrain CAN lines.

Maybe someone from this thread can enlighten us about it.
Shadow109
Bronze Member
Drives: Vw t5.1 2013

Post by Shadow109 »

I have been confused the 3AA907275F is the sensors part nubmer 😅😅
Anyway here’s what I have ordered for tpms in case anyone is interested:-

3AA907273F VW, Skoda Tire Pressure Monitoring Controler

3AA907275F Sensor for VW, Skoda Tire Pressure Monitoring

3AA907538 Controler Bracket / Holder

TPMS Wiring loom
TheKeymeister
New

Post by TheKeymeister »

ciclo wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 6:00 pm Check BCM adaption channels:

53, 0 to 1 ... HBA enabled
54, 0 to 1 ... Enable the 7E0 stalks functions --> stalks with return spring (1x). ,,,,(even if you have the wrong stalks, without 1x, you can emulate the 1x with your hands :))...

Please tell us the exact reference of AUTO light switch you are using, or a link where it was purchased ...
I have never checked the measuring blocks for lighting on these BCMs. :)

I don't think you have a problem flashing the TPMS 5Q0 unit, I think I remember I did it a couple of times.

---
Please🙏 don't ask me for the flash file for the TPMS unit, that eBay seller kindly answered several questions that I asked him some time ago and I will not be the one who hurts his sales, I think it is very reasonable for everyone to understand.
Thanks a lot.

I think someone here got mad at me because I didn't give them the file. :|

---

I just saw your edit.👍
I checked the adaptation channels quickly earlier, 53 was at 0, 54 was at 1. I tried every combination of the two and nothing changed. Maybe I need to turn ignition on/off after changing each time - will try again tomorrow when the kids aren't chasing after me. The bit that confuses me the most is that nothing happens under output tests, yet the full beams work via BCM when the flashing function is used on the stalk. I am beginning to wonder if the stalk may be faulty as another possibility. From what I can work out based on the diagrams, the two inputs to the BCM from the stalk are "flashing function engaged or full beam on/off switch engaged" and "full beam on/off switch not engaged" and it's actually turning the full beams on just by the absence of the "full beam on/off switch not engaged" signal. As this "not engaged" signal was never actually required previously, perhaps it's not even working inside the switch. I may try belling it out with the multimeter on continuity test mode, I also have a spare set of stalks from the Transporter from when I retrofitted cruise control I can try. The ideal end result is to have T6 return spring stalks but without cruise/MFD buttons, and to have a MFSW with working cruise buttons...so I don't really want to fit the T6 ones just yet unless I have to as I'll lose cruise.

The light switch fitted is 3C8 941 431 N, I also have a Chinese one with no markings and I get the same result with both switches in terms of fog lights.

I understand your situation regarding the TPMS module, if that seller is helpful and would be willing to put the tyre data on, that would save me a job so I'll try contacting them, I can do without extra work sometimes :D
ciclo

Post by ciclo »

Shadow109 wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 8:34 pm I have been confused the 3AA907275F is the sensors part nubmer 😅😅
Anyway here’s what I have ordered for tpms in case anyone is interested:-

3AA907273F VW, Skoda Tire Pressure Monitoring Controler

3AA907275F Sensor for VW, Skoda Tire Pressure Monitoring

3AA907538 Controler Bracket / Holder

TPMS Wiring loom
Yes I did notice it, 5F -> 3F, but I understood you perfectly.👍
ciclo

Post by ciclo »

TheKeymeister wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:06 pm I checked the adaptation channels quickly earlier, 53 was at 0, 54 was at 1. I tried every combination of the two and nothing changed. Maybe I need to turn ignition on/off after changing each time - will try again tomorrow when the kids aren't chasing after me. The bit that confuses me the most is that nothing happens under output tests, yet the full beams work via BCM when the flashing function is used on the stalk. I am beginning to wonder if the stalk may be faulty as another possibility. From what I can work out based on the diagrams, the two inputs to the BCM from the stalk are "flashing function engaged or full beam on/off switch engaged" and "full beam on/off switch not engaged" and it's actually turning the full beams on just by the absence of the "full beam on/off switch not engaged" signal. As this "not engaged" signal was never actually required previously, perhaps it's not even working inside the switch. I may try belling it out with the multimeter on continuity test mode, I also have a spare set of stalks from the Transporter from when I retrofitted cruise control I can try. The ideal end result is to have T6 return spring stalks but without cruise/MFD buttons, and to have a MFSW with working cruise buttons...so I don't really want to fit the T6 ones just yet unless I have to as I'll lose cruise.

The light switch fitted is 3C8 941 431 N, I also have a Chinese one with no markings and I get the same result with both switches in terms of fog lights.

I understand your situation regarding the TPMS module, if that seller is helpful and would be willing to put the tyre data on, that would save me a job so I'll try contacting them, I can do without extra work sometimes :D
The eBay seller says in the sale description that the TPMS unit is shipped already parameterized.
However, I suppose that if you generate the custom parameterization file and send it to them they will parameterize your unit with that parameterized file.
It is a very simple task. Contact them and ask.

The Auto light switch seems totally correct 👍, it has exactly the same functions as the 3C8 941 431A, the Chinese light switch should also work the same way (5ND941431B)... you will need to check the wires for the fog lights.

I wonder if you have wired the T41 connector correctly, ... the two wires that run from the Stalts to the BCM and the two +ve signals, due to what you comment it seems that you have not done it.
The diagram you referenced here https://www.uk-polos.net/viewtopic.php?p=580651#p580651 is correct, although the latest update regarding these four wires is contemplated in this thread:
:arrow: https://www.uk-polos.net/viewtopic.php?p=579518#p579518
:arrow: https://www.uk-polos.net/viewtopic.php?p=579548#p579548

Shadow109 also made this update, https://www.uk-polos.net/viewtopic.php?p=577064#p577064 , but he picks up ideas very quickly and the same way does the job. :wink: :lol:
(it's just a simple compliment to Shadow109)
TheKeymeister
New

Post by TheKeymeister »

I know it's taken me a while but I finally got around to checking all the wiring today. All tests were ok, checked continuity with multimeter and checked output from the light switch for front and rear fog lights and i was getting +12v when front and rear fogs selected on the relevant pins to the BCM. However, still no activation :?

Same story with the stalks - verified all pins etc and all ok. I'll be honest I tried it with the existing terminal 15 and 30 supplies the last time (I had checked continuity in both directions) but I've now run new ones to the light switch and it has made no difference. Flashing the lights works fine but nothing when I push the stalk back with headlights on. I have not got the extra wire back to the instrument cluster for indication - do you think this could me my issue? It does illuminate when flashing however. I have also noticed that if I leave the full beam switch pushed back and turn the ignition off then the light comes on in the instrument cluster. I think the full beams come on too. This happens whether the light switch is turned on or off! I have tested 3x stalks (all T5.1 type) and the same happens, also tried varying the adaptation channels you mentioned.

I've just read through the threads you mentioned though and remembered my front dome lights 7.5A fuse has blown, I wonder if this could be causing some issues. It's due to poor quality LEDs in the step lights that short out as soon as any pressure is applied, and I had to remove them to add wiring for the towbar. Unfortunately I smoked my last 7.5A a while back so I'll get some more and try again, see if that makes a difference. It may take a little while though as my partner's Skoda Octavia has decided the front brakes want to stick on one side so that comes first :evil:
TheKeymeister
New

Post by TheKeymeister »

I got some time to play today, and after much thinking decided to try something else to see if it helped my problems.

I fitted the "second" BCM, 7H0937089F, hey presto, things started working! Front and rear fog lights working, high beam sort of working - flash function working, full beams working with headlights on, but the stalk needed pushing fully backwards to turn it off rather than turn it on, ie the reverse of how it should operate. Output tests for high beam were working. It proved my wiring was somewhere near correct at least - I was a happy man!

On the strength of that, I decided to make an adaptation map with VCDS, then refitted the 7E0 BCM and made an adaptation map and compared the two. I also compared with a spreadsheet on the VW T6 forum (here) and started making changes to see if it helped.

The one that seemed to bring things to life was changing channel 72 from 1 to 0, this brought rear fogs and full beam working properly. I have also had to set channels 53 and 54 back to 0, as high beam was sticking on with them set to 1, it would need a flash of the stalk to reset it back to off. Possibly due to T5.1 stalks being used rather than the correct T6 ones.

The only problems now is that the front fog lights are still not working under 7E0 BCM, and I was getting bulb errors for the rear fog. This turned out to be a legitimate error, as the bulb had actually blown, and also the contacts were corroded (water ingress). I have had to stop further testing as volts at the rear light cluster had dropped to 9.8V :shock: :shock: so the battery is on charge for the night.

Does anyone have a "fully working" adaptation map following this conversion that I could see please? It will help me with trying to get the front fogs working tomorrow if they don't come to life on their own :D
ciclo

Post by ciclo »

The main problem is that you do not post the autoscan as you progress with this project, and you do not comment on what type of electrical installation you have done. There are two possible electrical installations:
1- For automatic lights T5.1 (this thread)
2- For automatic lights T6 (Limalex thread)
(It is the only way I can find to define the two possible electrical installations)

The codings will depend on what you have chosen.

Otherwise, this would be solved a long time ago without the need for you to do so many tests, however, I deeply respect the learning and time that is necessary to carry out any project.