Auto headlight retrofit. VW Transporter. T5 (2010-2015)

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
ciclo
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 6R'13/G7.5'19

Re: Auto headlight retrofit. VW Transporter. T5 (2010-2015)

Post by ciclo »

pettman wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 8:29 pm Thanks, I wont worry about the reverse wire then.

Under what circumstance would you ever have the dome lights on and reversing? :?:
Imagine that you transport in your vehicle some living beings called, the passenger, and/or children, and/or aliens 😁, and since they also have needs or carry out activities, you can be sure that when you most need the mirror to not dim they will turn on dome light, a flashlight, or some light source that will dim the auto-dimming mirror.
If you are backing up, this would be one of the other circumstances where the auto-dimming mirror should never dim.

Maneuvering in reverse with any car is a very easy task for you and me since we won the award for the 'human beings' who best maneuver in reverse without any assistance :lol:, but it is a very complex task for many other 'beings'. There are super fun videos on youtube of how complex reversing can be for some licensed drivers. :mrgreen:

If you think that your conditions when reversing may be diminished by the comments above, remove the T73b/48 or T73b/12 wire and make a Y-joint to direct one of the wires to the mirror and reinsert the other wire in its original slot. Easy. :wink:

---
I take this opportunity 😄 to explain something unrelated because it is becoming increasingly clear to me how little curiosity some have.
(related to the 'supposedly' I wrote in my previous post)

The HBA PQ25 auto-dimming mirror avoids mirror dimming when reversing because it receives the reversing signal through CAN lines, so there is no need to install the reversing wire.
On the other hand, we prevent the HBA PQ25 auto dimming mirror from dimming when turning on the dome light by the DGND wire. I installed this wire by adding a diode, which is absolutely necessary for the 6R dome light since the 6R dome light does not have this diode in its internal circuit.

It was the first thing I studied before installing the Light Assist in the 6R and surprisingly no one made any comment as to why I was installing this wire-diode despite the huge number of questions I received about the Light Assist.

https://www.uk-polos.net/viewtopic.php?p=503577#p503577
ciclo

Post by ciclo »

pettman wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 10:04 pm ciclo....because I don't want to get this wrong and have a limited number of terminals would you please do me the greatest honour of confirming or correcting the following marked up images of yours for the terminal ends please?

1- OK
2- Not OK, Black BCM wires with blue and white marks is MCP 1.5
3- Not OK, MCP 1.5 is MQS.

Tip:
No one should use individualized wiring retrofit images for fitting the BCM Max into the PQ25.
The PQ25 has many equipment/trim levels not well defined in the wiring diagrams where individualized adaptations are necessary. :|
pettman
New
Drives: N/A

Post by pettman »

As always your replies are god like with knowledge and supremacy over myself. Thing is everything about this retrofit your right about so I’m taking if your terminal ends are! But don’t worry I will not hold you to it!

Thank you for the information about my mirror I will use the wire as you have mentioned and report back my results.

Sometimes children are humans, sometimes they are monsters, either way we still have to transport them.

Can I use T73a/65 for interior lights?
ciclo

Post by ciclo »

pettman wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 7:01 am ...
Can I use T73a/65 for interior lights?
Please give me a description of the interior lights you want to install.
pettman
New

Post by pettman »

Sorry terrible question, I assumed you could read minds

Let me re phrase

Can I use that terminal and splice into it for the signal wire to the dimmable mirror so it un-dims when any interior light is turned on?
ciclo

Post by ciclo »

It depends on what kind of minds and level of software installed, ... only minds with software up to 2000, those of later software are totally unreadable. 😂

I think I remember that anti-dazzle mirrors (T5) manufactured before the new generation of interior mirrors (T6) have a button to deactivate the dimming.

Initially, if the anti dazzle mirror has the button for non-dimming, it is even necessary to install the wire from the interior light to the anti-dazzle mirror.
pettman
New

Post by pettman »

I do have the button to disable the dimming.

So perhaps just the reverse wire is the most useful at this time.

I’ll do that.

But if one from the year 3000 wanted to wire in the other wire for completeness would it be the aforementioned pin?
ciclo

Post by ciclo »

Yes (T73a/65), as indicated in the diagram shown here :arrow: viewtopic.php?p=578413#p578413

It is a good decision to add the reverse signal wire.👍

---
The story is that if the interior anti-dazzle mirror has the button, you must install said wire, but to avoid dimming the mirror it must be done manually with said button.

For the T5.1 there are 4 different models of front interior light (dome lights), I guess none of them have the diode built into their interior circuit.
In the new anti-dazzle mirror models there is no such button, so avoiding the dimming is done automatically (not manually), but it is necessary that the front interior lights have a diode built in their circuit (or be added later in the wire , such as I did).

There are many people who have retrofitted to the new anti-dazzle mirrors instead of the original ones (with button) and this is why we are discussing all this.
Keep in mind that there are many other people who could read our pleasant conversation.🤗

---
3000 ... 🤣
pettman
New

Post by pettman »

Ideal then I will wire in both wires so that my future self will look back and see what a wonderful job I did, with your help.

One other question I had was around the BCM max upgrade, I need to run the 2 CAN lines from the instrument cluster to the BCM in order for this upgrade to be a success, but does the new BCM require the 2 additional power input from the SA fusebox? Or are those 2 wires purely for the auto headlights upgrade and not part of the BCM upgrade?

-------

I feel my future self looking at me in disappointment from asking the above as he says its obvious...
iichel
Drives: Polo 6R 2.0 TDI, Passat B8 2.0 TSI

Post by iichel »

The CAN lines from the BCM to the instrument cluster are there for the 7E0 BCM. The 7E0 BCM features a separate CAN network for the instrument cluster (also used for the High Beam Assist). It is needed whenever a BCM 7E0 is retrofitted to a car with a 7H0/6R0 BCM. For this you don't need to add any power supplies

You do need to run some wires to i.e. T73a/63 and T73b/68 as part of your BCM Max retrofit (087 to 090) to supply power for the high and/or low beams.
pettman
New

Post by pettman »

Brilliant thanks for that. I just wanted to be sure before doing that upgrade.

After I have got these wires in for the mirror and RLS I will then run the 2 new CAN wires for the instrument cluster to the BCM and perform the upgrade.

:)
pettman
New

Post by pettman »

My RLS is now installed and coded, and I believe working, wires for anti-dazzle mirror are also wired in. I cut off the MCP terminals and re-crimped on new ones but with both wires in them, makes the job neater.

Next is BCM Max upgrade & CAN lines. My plan is as follows:

- Scan and save latest autoscan
- Remove pins 28 & 29 from the instrument cluster, isolate and label
- Run the new wires to T73b/54 and T73b/57
- Power up the T5 and scan
- Apply the long coding from my old BCM to the new BCM in 09-Cent Electrics *
- Pair keys
- Stand back and marvel at my upgrade
- Report back here with much gratitude

* This part here may diverge into mass panic and nothing working and a new post on here with scans begging for help, but lets hope it doesnt come to that 8)

If any part of my plan above is wrong or even right please let me know.
iichel
Drives: Polo 6R 2.0 TDI, Passat B8 2.0 TSI

Post by iichel »

I think somewhere along the plan you need to physically put in the new BCM, otherwise I think you're doing fine
pettman
New

Post by pettman »

T73a/65 doesnt seem to un-dim the rear view mirror when any lights are on, does thus mean the diode is needed?
ciclo

Post by ciclo »

Ignition ON + button under mirror OFF?