Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
sukhbinder
New
Drives: VW Polo 1.4 TDI 2014 64 reg

Engine light / 3rd brake light issue

Post by sukhbinder »

Hello

I have a 64 reg Polo 1.4tdi se.

In the last 3 weeks I’ve had an issue where the amber engine light will pop on for a couple of days then go off for a couple of days. I’ve added redex to the system in case it’s carbon buildup but it hasn’t made any real difference.

Over the same period (ie from when the engine light first came on), an error message ‘check third brake light’ pops up from time to time. I’ve checked the brake light and it’s working fine.

The two lights never come on together at the same time.

Has anyone experienced this and have any remedies? My gut is the two are linked and everything was fine before.

Thanks
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Re: Engine light / 3rd brake light issue

Post by alexperkins »

Id get it scanned with VCDS and see what that pops up with before going any further
sukhbinder
New
Drives: VW Polo 1.4 TDI 2014 64 reg

Post by sukhbinder »

Sure will do. Is there any particular type of scanner I need?
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

To make proper sense of what is going on, to check if any faults have been logged and to correctly convert any logged fault codes to something that is readable and correct, you need to either get that car checked at a VW Group dealership level scan tool or elsewhere with VCDS, Carista should also be able to correctly read and decode any logged faults and most times convert that to the correct meaning.

One thing, just using a generic OBD2 fault code scan tool will not work on most non-emissions related fault codes.
BlueMotion17
New
Drives: Blue Motion

Post by BlueMotion17 »

Has anyone needed to have third brake light repaired? The dashboard has orange exclamation mark, and my third brakelight isnt working. The VW garage have advised there's no access to the LED strip without CUTTING OFF the spoiler first. They advised me to take it to a local body shop. They cant say.if its the LED strip, or corrosion causing the failure. I was told car will fail next MOT if this is not fixed. Car 4 years old 2017, estimated cost.of repair £250. VW Complaints department say its the design of the car, and will offer no financial assistance towards the repair. Surely this is a design fault by VW? Im happy to pay for a repair, but paying to cut off the spoiler, then fitting a new one afterwards? Can anyone help me sort this?
amer6R
Platinum Member
Drives: Polo 6R 2010 1.6 TDI

Post by amer6R »

Doesnt it just pry off from outside?
wolfie
Gold Member
Drives: 6R1-1.2 TSI (2011, CBZB, 77Kw, 35Kmiles)

Post by wolfie »

If the garage think you need to take the spoiler off to get at the brake light, find another garage who aren't clueless with competent mechanics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNGE_eWX3ck
CarbonChaos
Silver Member
Drives: 2015 6C GTI DSG Oryx white 3 door.

Post by CarbonChaos »

That’s a standard polo high level brake light, the posters user name would indicate there car is a bluemotion variant which has a wrap around rear spoiler which may be bonded on to the tailgate?

Clarification on the exact trim level here is required before any clear instructions on how to remove the lamp in question can properly be provided

But they are incorrect in advising you about the 3rd brake light and a possible MOT failure,as cars only require 2 brake lights I believe,it would definitely be an advisory item though
wolfie
Gold Member
Drives: 6R1-1.2 TSI (2011, CBZB, 77Kw, 35Kmiles)

Post by wolfie »

CarbonChaos wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:04 pm That’s a standard polo high level brake light, the posters user name would indicate there car is a bluemotion variant which has a wrap around rear spoiler which may be bonded on to the tailgate?
Aye, I was a bit quick out of the blocks there and may have missed a trick. BlueMotion variants are a little odd, depending on the model/year some just get the Bluemotion badge at the rear, others get the modified spoilers. I think the spoiler is a "add-on" to the existing spoiler rather than a completely separate design.
amer6R
Platinum Member
Drives: Polo 6R 2010 1.6 TDI

Post by amer6R »

Try modifying the pry tool? What if you break the third light if it doesnt work it doesnt cost you anything?