Tom's 6R 1.2 TDI Match to 6C Beats + Component protection Bypass

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
Tombirch95
Getting There!
Drives: 2011 Polo Match 1.2 TDI

Tom's 6R 1.2 TDI Match to 6C Beats + Component protection Bypass

Post by Tombirch95 »

Evening,

Been looking at upgrade options the past few weeks and gathering a few details, wanted to turn my polo into a beats edition.

First I’ve started with the outside stripes looking on sourcing the beats logo for the B pillars.

Then I’m going to get the interior electronics and audio sorted, my plan is to be as incognito as possible so the system is hidden and nothing visible such as the amp or wires ect.

It’s going to be more of a build thread but for now it’s just the stripes

Tom

ImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by Tombirch95 on Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cheba
Silver Member
Drives: Polo R WRC 2014

Re: Polo 6r Beats conversion

Post by cheba »

Your car is a 6R, but the Polo Beats Edition was a 6C, right?

If you want to get the electronics to match the Beats Edition, that would mean you will have to get the Composition Media head unit from the 6C (which is integrated into the center console trim). Now someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think this is a straight fit into the 6R because of the differences in the electronics between 6R and 6C (6C features some MQB-like stuff).

Personally I haven't seen it done. I have however seen one or two examples of people fitting the Composition Media from facelifted Beetle/Scirocco into the 6R center console, and it is not straight forward due to the built-in component protection of the newer generation head units. In order for the component protection to be suppressed, a hardware hack has to be done inside the head unit. I guess this would apply to the 6C head unit also. So I don't think it's a straightforward thing to just switch to a 6C head unit.

As I said before, someone please correct me if I'm wrong.
Tombirch95
Getting There!

Post by Tombirch95 »

cheba wrote:Your car is a 6R, but the Polo Beats Edition was a 6C, right?

If you want to get the electronics to match the Beats Edition, that would mean you will have to get the Composition Media head unit from the 6C (which is integrated into the center console trim). Now someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think this is a straight fit into the 6R because of the differences in the electronics between 6R and 6C (6C features some MQB-like stuff).

Personally I haven't seen it done. I have however seen one or two examples of people fitting the Composition Media from facelifted Beetle/Scirocco into the 6R center console, and it is not straight forward due to the built-in component protection of the newer generation head units. In order for the component protection to be suppressed, a hardware hack has to be done inside the head unit. I guess this would apply to the 6C head unit also. So I don't think it's a straightforward thing to just switch to a 6C head unit.

Hi cheba,

I won’t be swapping my headunit as I have already fitted a different headunit which has Apple car play and it’s far better than the original in my opinion.

I will be fitting the beats system such as speakers Amp & sub but retrofitting it to work with my set up, I know about the differences In the electronics bit there are ways around everything :p

Tom

iichel
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Polo 6R 2.0 TDI, Passat B8 2.0 TSI

Post by iichel »

cheba wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:12 pm
I think you're correct on every point but I hope that it won't keep Tombirch95 from his interpretation of a 6R beats edition. I'm curious to see what he'll end up with.
I think the sound system is the main part, but I'm not sure the amp will take on the 6R. Let's see.
Tombirch95
Getting There!

Post by Tombirch95 »

iichel wrote:
cheba wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:12 pm
I think you're correct on every point but I hope that it won't keep Tombirch95 from his interpretation of a 6R beats edition. I'm curious to see what he'll end up with.
I think the sound system is the main part, but I'm not sure the amp will take on the 6R. Let's see.
The only downside is the lack of details on the beats system and parts are scarce. I’ll get the kit and give it a go, worst case scenario I’ll buy a golf R 🤷🏼‍♂️

cheba
Silver Member
Drives: Polo R WRC 2014

Post by cheba »

Tombirch95 wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:04 pm
Hi cheba,

I won’t be swapping my headunit as I have already fitted a different headunit which has Apple car play and it’s far better than the original in my opinion.

I will be fitting the beats system such as speakers Amp & sub but retrofitting it to work with my set up, I know about the differences In the electronics bit there are ways around everything :p

Tom

I see. Then you should be good, at least with the head unit which is known to work in the 6R (I saw in your post history that you have the RCD 330).

Depending on which head unit you had factory fitted and which other options the car is fitted with, the RCD 330 will be better in some ways but can also be worse in some ways. The obvious pros are CarPlay and/or Android compatibility, the downside is that you lose the diversity antenna feature. If the car has the Media-In interface it won't work with the RCD 330, and if the car has Bluetooth with a mic in the roof, that one is rendered useless since the RCD 330 has its internal mic. From what I've heard, the phone/media features in the MFA display also won't work with the RCD 330 (maybe MFSW controls too?). You also lose the CD/DVD drive, although this doesn't matter for most people nowadays. Also if the RCD 330 is used to replace a factory fitted RNS unit, you lose the possibility for navigation without connecting a phone.

The RCD 330 is definitely full of compromises, but for a car with a basic head unit and not much extra equipment it can for sure be a nice upgrade to get CarPlay/Android functionality without many drawbacks.
Tombirch95
Getting There!

Post by Tombirch95 »

cheba wrote:
Tombirch95 wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:04 pm
Hi cheba,

Tom

I see. Then you should be good, at least with the head unit which is known to work in the 6R (I saw in your post history that you have the RCD 330).

Depending on which head unit you had factory fitted and which other options the car is fitted with, the RCD 330 will be better in some ways but can also be worse in some ways. The obvious pros are CarPlay and/or Android compatibility, the downside is that you lose the diversity antenna feature. If the car has the Media-In interface it won't work with the RCD 330, and if the car has Bluetooth with a mic in the roof, that one is rendered useless since the RCD 330 has its internal mic. From what I've heard, the phone/media features in the MFA display also won't work with the RCD 330 (maybe MFSW controls too?). You also lose the CD/DVD drive, although this doesn't matter for most people nowadays. Also if the RCD 330 is used to replace a factory fitted RNS unit, you lose the possibility for navigation without connecting a phone.

The RCD 330 is definitely full of compromises, but for a car with a basic head unit and not much extra equipment it can for sure be a nice upgrade to get CarPlay/Android functionality without many drawbacks.

Thanks for you reply and info, my car doesn’t have the MFA display but does have the MFSW and it works perfectly I’ve also coded it so what I press the mic button on the steering wheel Siri starts, I always carry my phone so I’m never with out navi on another note there is a spare iPhone 4 hidden in my car for emergencies which I could use that if needs must.

Car apparently had Bluetooth as the dealer sold it with it but upon later discovery it did not have it fitted but my car play radio has a mic built in which I’ve never had any issues with and have fitted quite a few of these head units and the sound quality is great. The headunit isn’t an android ripoff, it seems to be a Volkswagen radio from its China market? It has a Volkswagen model bumper and all its details are spot on, I’ve attached images of the radio and the system details page.

Been playing with the car coding today and noticed a few options for “sound system” under “radio” options given where quite interesting and should make the job a bit easier again I’ve attached images.

More updates soon just sourcing parts and creating looms.

Tom

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Tombirch95
Getting There!

Post by Tombirch95 »

More progress today, sorry about no recent update I took the polo to Poland via, Wolfsburg to the VW factory.

New rear bumper rear OPS & beats seats.

Fitting bumper was straight forward, OPS cable running was interesting.

Seats where straight fit.

New up sound system!

Managed to get the OPS from China all works 100% and run via can bus. Seats and door cards where from a salvage polo bears I got my hands on.

ImageImageImageImageImage

Deadeye
New
Drives: Beats 1.2TSI

Post by Deadeye »

Firstly I want say I am glad to see someone has finally written something about the Beats that wasn't about the Mk 10 Beats! And there is finally a picture of a "Beats" in the gallery.

I am enjoying what i have read in this thread so far.

I need to say wheels, you need a set of knight alloys. I know they are not to everyone's taste, so not sure if this is on your shopping list
Tombirch95
Getting There!

Post by Tombirch95 »

Deadeye wrote:Firstly I want say I glad to see someone finally written something about the Beats that wasn't about Mk 10 Beats! And there is finally a picture of a "Beats" in the gallery.

I am enjoying what i have read in this thread so far.

I need to say wheels, you need a set of knight alloys. I know they are not to everyone's taste, so not sure if this is on your shopping list
Alloys are on my list, just trying to find a good set, currently working on the radio out of a 6C making good progress disabling component protection [emoji108]

Tombirch95
Getting There!

Post by Tombirch95 »

Latest update, full LED headlights, simply to fit better quality than xenon and don’t blind anyone [emoji108]

Tombirch95
Getting There!

Post by Tombirch95 »

Quite a bit of movement on the electronics

Sourced all the parts for the composite media, created the looms and got to work with removing component protection (permanently)

Took a good few days of work but I’ve successfully Removed/disabled component protection, all features on the head unit work, such as app connect and nav etc, device has been on for well over 24 hours straight with no issues or errors.

Just need to neaten up the wiring and it’s ready to fit to the car.

I’ve had the whole test bench set up, spare BCM and ECU and cluster and diagnostics port and all works and talks.

ImageImageImage

iichel
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Polo 6R 2.0 TDI, Passat B8 2.0 TSI

Post by iichel »

Looks like a discover media to me? With nav button
Tombirch95
Getting There!

Post by Tombirch95 »

iichel wrote:Looks like a discover media to me? With nav button

Possibly component protection was active when I received the unit, after a bit of playing I had it removed/disabled, as for the screen, I have a few that I’ve been playing with, non Nav and different variations all function correctly with the right unit attached, it’s something I’ve been working on for months, I have units from 2014, and brand new ones and I’ve had the same results all around.

I’m waiting for a unit with the sim slot to arrive but it’s taking its time.
Tombirch95
Getting There!

Post by Tombirch95 »

Few more additions to the car, finding parts from a beats is hard.

Managed to get hold of a MIB2 standard unit to see how it’s plays in my car, long story short the same as the discover nav, time to get another patch for CP.

Current setup is headunit in glove box, screen in situ, I’m trialing running a seconds BCM from a 6c in the car piggybacking off the existing BCM where modules allow, once I have fully decided how different it is I should be able to reprogram and use my existing.

All good fun

ImageImageImageImageImage