How to replace your alarm horn

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
Mvplayer84
New
Drives: Polo 6r 1.4l

Re: How to replace your alarm horn

Post by Mvplayer84 »

amer6R wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 4:13 pm Do you lock your car via cobra remote or via central locking? It seems that both options activate the alarm?
I lock it with the remote. I have tried the central locking and seems to me that it does the same alarm activation.
Mvplayer84
New
Drives: Polo 6r 1.4l

Post by Mvplayer84 »

Franciswat wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 4:07 pm Have no idea about the voltages or how to test the syren outside the car.
What kind of issue do you have? Anyway I think will be easier to just replace it.

When I tried to fix mine by replacing the batteries I've spent money for nothing.
Issue started with alarm going off randomly with siren noise. Now the alarm functions properly but no siren noise even when locking. I want to make sure it is only the siren and not a faulty alarm unit. I am in South Africa and cannot order online from Ebay. Dealer part prices have become expensive after lockdowns here. Second hand siren prices are extortion. I want to make sure especially with no return policy. Hence my voltage question. I cannot find anything on the internet.
AdeN
New
Drives: 1.2 Bluemotion

Post by AdeN »

This is same procedure for a 65 plate VW Polo. The alarm siren is under the scuttle vent in centre of windscreen area.
Easy process once you get wiper blade arms off, I used a small puller for this. They are very tight on the spindle.
After removing the rubber seal, The scuttle comes away from the windscreen by easing upwards from one end, it is held in a snap groove along windscreen bottom. Once started it comes off ok. I started moving it with a small screwdriver to ease the end from the groove.
The alarm siren is rivetted on the bulkhead, drill these out & remove the wiring connector by pulling red tab upwards.
Then slide the siren out from the side.
Took me about half an hour to actually do the job after sussing out what to do.

The car seems to run ok without the siren installed.
Franciswat
Silver Member
Drives: 6R 1.6 Bifuel

Post by Franciswat »

Except for autoscan fault and alarm not working you won't have more issues.
dunesand
New
Drives: 1.6 Comfortline

Post by dunesand »

Hi, did you get you alarm horn sorted?
I am in your region and has the same problem.
Franciswat
Silver Member
Drives: 6R 1.6 Bifuel

Post by Franciswat »

I replaced the faulty alarm horn (1K0951605C) with a more recent unit (1K0951605F) from eBay.