Tight gearbox

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
Casbantam
Getting There!
Drives: 1.2 TSI Match

Re: Tight gearbox

Post by Casbantam »

Cheers, was Trying to see if anyone knew what was involved with the repair? Like getting blood from a stone from the dealership.
From what I have seen online it is basically realigning the gears inside the box so they move freely. Hopefully this will fix the reverse gear and make 1st gear better as well.
Although wouldn't be surprised if only reverse gear gets fixed.
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

My way of thinking/operating is, it does not matter if it is being repaired under warranty or if you are paying, it is your property and you have a right to know what has been done to it during that repair, if for no other reason, so that you can use that info in the future if this or another issue arises, even to the point of you being given a copy of the work sheet, they can blank out the costs if you are not paying, but the processes, content of that task need to be made available to you for your future records.

I asked for that when getting warranty work done on my wife's 2015 Polo, and I was given copies of everything I asked for.
Casbantam
Getting There!

Post by Casbantam »

Well glad to get my car back after 2 weeks.
I got a comprehensive video message from the technician explaining what had been done. So basically there was a TPI for this issue which involves pressing the clutch half way and fully 50 times and the findings documented. It passed this test previously and again passed this time also. However as the technician had been on a test drive with me when it wouldn't engage reverse he pushed for further investigation.
They advised a gearbox repair kit should be fitted. They have replaced reverse 2nd and 1st synchro and all associated local parts. He said that my car compared to others of same spec felt especially notchy. He said he had test drove it and although still feels a bit stiff he had not been unable to select reverse.
I am not massively confident that this issue will be resolved but time will tell. It just felt exactly the same on the drive home although I only selected reverse once and that was stiff but selected. I will give it a good go over the weekend and no doubt know for sure by Monday whether it is fixed or not, in fact I will probably know when I reverse out of the garage tomorrow!!
Nuget2020
New
Drives: Polo 2015 1.0 SE

Post by Nuget2020 »

Hi , I've been experiencing very similar issues as you've been describing with my polo 2015 SE. Took it to dealership, they said it was fine and common complaint recognised on their server... Issue is still ongoing though, did the gear repair kit make any difference?
Nuget2020
New
Drives: Polo 2015 1.0 SE

Post by Nuget2020 »

Hi , I've been experiencing very similar issues as you've been describing with my polo 2015 SE. Took it to dealership, they said it was fine and common complaint recognised on their server... Issue is still ongoing though, did the gear repair kit make any difference?
Casbantam
Getting There!

Post by Casbantam »

I am glad to say that it did make a difference. I would say say it is 95% effective and my problems are thankfully in the past.
Just the occasional time it needs a shove in and feels to get stuck from 3rd to 4th but happy with it.
How long have you had the car and is it under warranty?